White scale on connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
I have two copper pipes that come out of my boiler. I know nothing about this stuff. There was a build up of white crud around the connections. Pics attached. The pics are after I cleaned some of it off. Is this something I should be concerned about or is this normal over time? The boiler is at least 25 years old. No visible water leaks, however this area is very hot, so I imagine a small leak would instantly evaporate

1E064761-E082-40BA-815A-847F8BE89E7D.jpeg A45865EA-E3E4-44F1-A36B-2D82343E7193.jpeg

I had the same kind of thing on my old water heater that was already in this house when I bought it, and the 20+ years since...never caused an issue, never actually saw it "wet", even though I always assumed it was from a minute leak...

If that is residue from leaking water, it may have closed already because of said residue...

When I was a plumber you’d see this all the time it is just years of build up from the copper pipe and flux and electrolysis really nothing to worry about. You’d see puddles of water if their was a leak. If it’s more of and eye sore than anything just take a wire brush and it should come right off for you.

When I was a plumber you’d see this all the time it is just years of build up from the copper pipe and flux and electrolysis really nothing to worry about. You’d see puddles of water if their was a leak. If it’s more of and eye sore than anything just take a wire brush and it should come right off for you.
Thanks brother! I greatly appreciate it

Reactions: Rockstar1346