Whitfeld profile 20 at a loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlueTear

Nov 24, 2021
Wisconsin
First time pellet stove owner.

Just got this pellet stove about a month ago and am having a few problems with it.
-start up seems slow and smokes a lot.
-flame seems to choke out or burn dirty.
-the only time it seems to burn right is when i hit the power and it does its cool down process.
That is when the exhaust fan seems to ramp into high speed

I have thoroughly cleaned the unit
-cleaned the fire box and pot
-cleaned the photoeye
-cleaned chimney
-cleaned convection fan and exhaust fan
-dampener was stuck when I first got it now moves freely but only about 1" to 1.5"
(To clarify the plate and post that I can see moves freely) is there a way to see the dampener?
-used compressed air for the exhaust ports in the fire box

I am uploading a Video to youtube. once its up ill put a link in here

stove&pipesetup.gif

Last edited:
First time pellet stove owner.

Just got this pellet stove about a month ago and am having a few problems with it.
-start up seems slow and smokes a lot.
-flame seems to choke out or burn dirty.
-the only time it seems to burn right is when i hit the power and it does its cool down process.
That is when the exhaust fan seems to ramp into high speed

I have thoroughly cleaned the unit
-cleaned the fire box and pot
-cleaned the photoeye
-cleaned chimney
-cleaned convection fan and exhaust fan
-dampener was stuck when I first got it now moves freely but only about 1" to 1.5"
(To clarify the plate and post that I can see moves freely) is there a way to see the dampener?
-used compressed air for the exhaust ports in the fire box

I am uploading a Video to youtube. once its up ill put a link in here

View attachment 286309

it is defin

ately starving for air. seems there is a blockage somewhere. Ash cleanouts were cleaned?

Reactions: Ssyko
Not enough combustion air
How tight is your house?
Dirty passages (ash)
burn pot air holes plugged
Welcome to the forum

Reactions: Ssyko
Not enough combustion air
How tight is your house?
Dirty passages (ash)
burn pot air holes plugged
Welcome to the forum
Its in a self contained 4 seasons porch new construction only air coming in should be through the oak.
I did a deep clean on it including the combustion fan and convection fan and exhaust ports in the fire box.
Cleaned the burn pot with a wire brush. All holes clear.
Just got back from thanks giving and started the pot with a hand full of pellets and blowtorch set to medium setting and WTH it worked fine for the 3hr i was out there with nice crisp flame and very little smoke to start.

Thanks for the welcome