Whitfield Adv. 2 shut down twice last nite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You Trader!!
Sorry they gave me what I paid for it in March.The new ones seem easier to clean with little trap doors.Plus my daughter and wife almost blew up once or twice litin this thing.HAHA to much gel.It's a great stove and probably make someone happy.I just dont know what to do with 35 bags of infernos,i guess go to lowes and bring them back,my 53 year old back isnt the same .HAHA. Thanks KINGER

hope you cleaned the hidden channels also
Yes I did. I think. photo(1).JPG

With those I'd need to do the high suction operation outside every week to not feel like I was neglecting the stove.

John,

Dirty-Dave is talking about stuff after you uncover the real back to those ash traps that goes to the combustion blower cavity.

With those I'd need to do the high suction operation outside every week to not feel like I was neglecting the stove.

John,

Dirty-Dave is talking about stuff after you uncover the real back to those ash traps that goes to the combustion blower cavity.
Yes I did the steel plates behind that. And did the blower. Thanks.

Did you see what was going on when it shut down?

ETA: If you didn't get the area after the second set of traps you still have stuff perhaps packed in there. Your convection fan may not be set high enough to remove the heat from the exchanger.

What version of the controls do you have on that stove and have the blowers that need oiling been oiled?

Does the combustion blower have oil ports on it and is there a fan button that sends the convection fan into high fan mode?

That's about all I can think of outside of the stove still having buildup in the exhaust paths or perhaps back pressure in the vent system.

Can you provide a description of the venting or better yet a picture behind the stove and outside where the vent is.

Does that board flash a code when this happens?

Does the combustion blower have oil ports on it and is there a fan button that sends the convection fan into high fan mode?

That's about all I can think of outside of the stove still having buildup in the exhaust paths or perhaps back pressure in the vent system.

Can you provide a description of the venting or better yet a picture behind the stove and outside where the vent is.

Does that board flash a code when this happens?
Yes I oiled the fan yesterday two drops in each hole.No button that I saw.Cleaned it yesterday,out of the stove with T-clean out,20' or so stainless pipe,top plate on chimmey flue,rain cap with screen. No blinkin light but the pellet feed light. It's running on 2 for heat 5 on convection fan,and daft pulled out 1 1/2 " from full open and hasnt shut down yet.

If that is 3" pipe you are at the nominal limit (EVL = 15) with the tee (EVL = 5) and the 20'. (EVL=10).

If that is 3" pipe you are at the nominal limit (EVL = 15) with the tee (EVL = 5) and the 20'. (EVL=10).
Sorry 4" pipe.Like i said its gone in two weeks,so i hope the new stove will be trouble free, i,ll have to clean it more often till i get better pellets.

The thing with a number of the older stoves is that the exhaust paths are frequently longer and more complex than a number of the newer stoves, this provides plenty of space for a buildup to occur and sometimes it is extremely difficult to get it completely cleaned out without a lot of brush work, thumping, the assistance of a high air flow device, and in some cases a bit of tear down.

The whits had a number of these design "features".

Hi all- the problem isn't the stove most likely its the pellets. Infernos notorious for causing inconsistent operation of any stove ... That Adv 2t most popular design ever- The Enviro EF2/3, the Country/Lennox Winslow, the Avalon Astoria, The Harman Advance, HR Saranac all are based on this stove. The damper should be adjusted for about 1 inch out, the locking collar is typically set so its 1 inch when pushed up against the stove cowling.You can also bet that the chimney has a good amount of ash in the tee and liner if the interior cleanouts are full. I know you are getting the Astoria (nice stove) and doesn't really matter to you. The infernos prob got the POF switch dirty, leading to inconsistency or if you had some auger bridging for the auger not dropping in a timely manner. One more thing about some 2T's the vac sw is a positive pressure switch not negative like most present stove systems, the vac port is aft of the exh blower. Very few stoves produce amounts of heat like the Whitfields put out, The Adv 2T and Quest used POF swutches, The later series of Profile stoves used the Photo Eye as the POF. If you got it at the place mentioned, hope he didn't list it as a "new" left over stove. Good luck with the new one, sorry about the infernos........

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 pellet FS
Enviro Empress FPI AC
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood

Thanks stovelark i did clean the stove and the tee,didnt have a brush but do now borrowed it from work. Burned Energenex in it and shut down on 3 after 2 1/2 hours number 2 burns all day it not cold enough yet to test. I was wonderin a bout the draft thats where i have it about even thou the book says 2 1/4 ".
On 3 the outlet room temp goes to 350-400 is that norm? I returned the infernos for green supreme. me and my daughter hand jacked 37 bags twice. R u familier with Deanes stove.

Hi all- the problem isn't the stove most likely its the pellets. Infernos notorious for causing inconsistent operation of any stove ... That Adv 2t most popular design ever- The Enviro EF2/3, the Country/Lennox Winslow, the Avalon Astoria, The Harman Advance, HR Saranac all are based on this stove. The damper should be adjusted for about 1 inch out, the locking collar is typically set so its 1 inch when pushed up against the stove cowling.You can also bet that the chimney has a good amount of ash in the tee and liner if the interior cleanouts are full. I know you are getting the Astoria (nice stove) and doesn't really matter to you. The infernos prob got the POF switch dirty, leading to inconsistency or if you had some auger bridging for the auger not dropping in a timely manner. One more thing about some 2T's the vac sw is a positive pressure switch not negative like most present stove systems, the vac port is aft of the exh blower. Very few stoves produce amounts of heat like the Whitfields put out, The Adv 2T and Quest used POF swutches, The later series of Profile stoves used the Photo Eye as the POF. If you got it at the place mentioned, hope he didn't list it as a "new" left over stove. Good luck with the new one, sorry about the infernos........

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 pellet FS
Enviro Empress FPI AC
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood
Sorry but whats POF stand for?

Hi John Sorry about POF I abbreviate too much... Yeah very familiar with Deans familiar with most of the stove shops east of Hartford not that many either. You know, theres always good and bad to every dealer, every service guy, hopefully you catch folks on a day when they want to help as I always say. Its funny too, I sometimes think that stove guys (dealers and service people) forget that the customer is paying their wages. Thats my frame of reference, the customer is paying my wages (I believe Henry Ford used to say that too). The air adjustment prob needed to be closed a bit more but no worries for you, I know you'll like your new Avalon.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (burning now)

Status
Not open for further replies.