Whitfield advantage II-2 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toolman07

Dec 17, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hello everybody new to the forum and pellet stove world. I recently got a pair of Whitfields for the house I recently purchased I chose to put the newer of the two in my house. I gave it a good cleaning, replaced my door seal, and lubes the motors it seems to run well but I really don't know how to go about setting this rig.

This machine has the digital board am I correct that the heat output setting adjust my auger feed and my intake and or exhaust blower, and that the blower setting is strictly for the heat going into the room? I currently have the dampner about 2" 1/4 out like the manual said, heat setting #1, blower on #5, and the combustion air trim pot turned down part way. The flame goes up and down as pellets drop and they burn off between auger cycles. Pellets dance and little red cherrys tend to blow through the stove. In the manual it stated up to 35 hour burn time on low setting. I don't think I can go much over 20-22 hours it seems like does that seem normal?

Sorry for so many questions so fast in one post!

Not sure what you mean by intake or exhaust blower... Your stove has a convection blower (room air circulation) and a combustion blower (pulls air through the burn pot, turns into exhaust up the chimney). The heat output setting affects the cycle rate of the auger and the speed of the combustion blower. The convection blower is separate. At least that's how mine is (older model with the rotary knobs). Mine's also an insert so it only holds about one bag of pellets so I made a "hopper extender" out of sheetmetal that sits on top and holds almost one more bag of pellets. I normally run my stove on 2, and I go through about a bag a day, maybe a little less. All that is dependent on the settings of the trimpots on the board, though.

Ok I wasn't sure how the blower system worked so the intake and exhaust work off the same blower. How does one tell if the blower getting week. My stand alone unit only holds a 40lb bag as well. Maybe another 10 lbs at most. Is there any general rule of thumb when to adjust the dampner vs the combustion air trim pot?

Ok thanks for the input I've been messing wit trim pots here and there. It never goes out. Just sorta flames up then back down between auger pulses on low setting. Was just hopiimg I could get closer to the 35 hour mark that the manual said then the 20 I'm getting haha

If you have the single blower Whitfield- that's the Quest or prodigy isn't it?? I think the cascade (small cast model) also had that setup. If pellets are dancing (we also hear boiling used) and are getting blown out of the burnpot almost whole, then decrease damper a bit, fuel is getting wasted. Mfrs also tend to be liberal about low level burning time, I'd adjust it for good heat output, not worry about burn time. Let us know.

If you have the single blower Whitfield- that's the Quest or prodigy isn't it?? I think the cascade (small cast model) also had that setup. If pellets are dancing (we also hear boiling used) and are getting blown out of the burnpot almost whole, then decrease damper a bit, fuel is getting wasted. Mfrs also tend to be liberal about low level burning time, I'd adjust it for good heat output, not worry about burn time. Let us know.

Thanks for the reply it's definitely a 2-t I think I'm pretty close. It puts off a nice warm heat on the lowest setting. My dampner is just barely closed from wide open and I trimmed the combustioin air down the whole way. It seems to be working well still spits a few out right before they're completely burnt up maybe the size of a bb or less. These thermal glow pellets sure do make the ash. It's not fluffy but somewhat chunky I think alot of it was do to some of them bouncing out unburnt. Now I just need to figure out how to get the heast to blow through my other rooms and upatairs

Whitfield advantage II-2 questions

Does it make sense that without trimming the combustion air pot the whole way down I have to I'll save my damoner like an inch open to avoid a super fast burning fire and pellets popcorning all over?