Whitfield Advantage II - no fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MButkus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2008
Jersey
Coldest day in Jersey so far. Watching TV and the fire to the stove almost goes away. I check it, throw in a few pellets, as the bag I put in yesterday had a few bad pellet areas. (I"m giving up with that brand.) So I push a clothes hanger in the drop shoot and a ton of pellets fall. Figured it was just jammed. 3 min later just embers.

Try a few things, then finally emptied the stove. Checked the auger and it was tight. Finally got vice grips, wiggled a lot and it finally broke free. I could hear the motor moving and hitting the stop. Turned on the auger, no movement. Figured it over-heated, waited 5 min. nope. Let it shut down, pulled off chimney and swung it around as I had my spare motor next to me. I checked the back and ... there is one of the auger power wires hanging. When I replaced the auger a year ago it was cold, and the replacement did not have a spade. Stripped wire shoved into the connector.. I'll fix it later (that never comes).
Connected the one loose wire, attach chimney and auger turns !
Fire again.
Clean Fire Pacific Blend - I used them for year, no longer.

Glad to hear it wasn't serious. Those little things, like attaching the spade properly, will always get you;lol The golden rule seems to be problems on the coldest days of the year!

Here, here. A week later and no problems. Never had a jam in 20 years. Now in Jersey it's gonna be in the 50s. Have to use my "heat control", open the front door and just use the drafty screen door.