Whitfield Advantage Ii-T (W2) no adjustments work at all. HELP!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prioritycs1

Dec 15, 2017
Priest River, ID
I purchased this Whitfield Advantage II-T w2 version some time ago to run in my shop. However, nothing on the control board seems to work at.all except.for the start button. The pellets feed full speed non stop until its empty and the fan osinimal air. I cant adjust the Heat Output knob (feed) or the Blower Speed know at all. All i can do is light it and then.let.it run until it runs out, but even at that the heat just sorta rises withvery little air pushing it.out. it hets so many pellets foing that they are actually on fire down in the cleanout drawer. I can start the thing my hitting the start button fine. But nothing else works. I cant.turn the Auger off, no feed speed, and no fan speed.
Whats going on? Do I need a new control board? Even though i cant find this older style board, as even this site shows it out of stock.
Help!!! What can the problem be? I dont want to kust throw parts at it without having some kind of idea of what the cause is.
1514788512939-1790150074.jpg

I would un plug the stove and remove the control board. Remove the knobs on the board and the protective film onthe back.Get a can of crc electronic spray cleaner. Spray the cleaner into the openings around the knob shafts. Turn the knobs while you spray. Using an old toothbrush or paint brush spray the board and brush as clean as you can. Allow the cleaner to evaporate and dry reassemble and try it.

The old style control board and the newer electronic ones are interchangeable, They have the same plug on the back.

I would un plug the stove and remove the control board. Remove the knobs on the board and the protective film onthe back.Get a can of crc electronic spray cleaner. Spray the cleaner into the openings around the knob shafts. Turn the knobs while you spray. Using an old toothbrush or paint brush spray the board and brush as clean as you can. Allow the cleaner to evaporate and dry reassemble and try it.

I did.disassemble.it and cleaned.it all up with the electronics spray cleaner as well as air from my big.compressor. the board and the controls are.all spotless. I also.completely cleaned.the inside.of the entire stove, sisassembled the.fire brick stuff, cleaned out those places, and everywhere else. The stove is darn near spotless now, including the control board. But still, nothing works other than the start.button. the pellets still.feed at full speed umtil they are gone and they fill up the burn pot quickly, but i cant turn it down nor can i turn.the auger off, because neither of those controls work. Same.as the fan, i cannot turn it up because tje blower speed switch doesnt change anything so I still.have no fan going on

I also have twated the convection fan (fresh air blower fan) separately and it does function good. I have not.tested the pressure switch.but im.thinking they are.probably good?
It seems to me that the entire control.board with the exception of the start button, is shot. I took it apart and.looked for.burnt.spots and.breaks on the green board but found.none. I am a retired Computer Tech so am gamiliar with electronics but i just dont see where the problem is.
Time for a new control board? I guess i could upgrade it to the new style?

Darn typos. Sorry about that folks. Thanks for your input. Im lost here on these things and really appreciate your help

This Whitfield is in my shop and doesnt heat up anything without the blower and.feed controls working properly. Thats kinda rough with typical winter lows in the teens or single digits where I live. Ive gotta get this Whitfield.working or.else.i gotta go out and cut firewood in waist deep snow....
I also have a Quadrafire in my home that is thermostat controlled and.it works great and.i love it. Of course, ive replaced quite a few parts.on that one also

As suggested by DneprDave, this newer touchpad control board should be compatible with your stove:
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...ii-plus-control-board-12055902-p/12055902.htm

But before spending $338+shipping on a new control board, all safety devices, blower motors, auger motor and wiring should be inspected and tested. The service manual is indispensable when inspecting/testing. Link to svc manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqla0k3x3...ntageII-T_AdvantageIII_TECH_TRAINING.pdf?dl=0

I took it apart and.looked for.burnt.spots and.breaks on the green board but found.none.

Now it gets interesting for electronics geeks. The aluminum faced boards came in at least two different versions. Do you remember, if your board is similar to any of these on the pics?
Dette er vist det mest berygtede control board.jpg Pellet Stove Burnt Resistor.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
As suggested by DneprDave, this newer touchpad control board should be compatible with your stove:
https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...ii-plus-control-board-12055902-p/12055902.htm

But before spending $338+shipping on a new control board, safety devices, blower motors, auger motor and wiring should be inspected and tested. The service manual is indispensable when inspecting/testing. Link to svc manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqla0k3x3...ntageII-T_AdvantageIII_TECH_TRAINING.pdf?dl=0

Now it gets interesting for electronics geeks. The aluminum faced boards came in at least two different versions. Do you remember, if your board is similar to any of these on the pics?
View attachment 219505 View attachment 219507

Yep, it looks lie the 2nd one

Reactions: Stovensen
Thank you stovensen. The manual will come in handy. I will go through and manually test all of the components first and if they all check out ok then I guess its time for a new control board

Yep, it looks lie the 2nd one

Ok, that one may be possible to repair. At least some repair services on the internet have it on their listing, but the price tag for a repair is around $150- $200, so the new touchpad control at $338 is a much safer long term investment.

And now some electronics geek stuff: This control board version used three hybrid circuits: U4, U5 and U6:
Dette er vist det mest berygtede control board.jpg

The three hybrid circuits are the black boxes next to the Omron relays. There must have been a design flaw on these hybrid circuits, since many would fail in pretty much the same manner. On this forum for electronics enthusiasts they tried to reverse engineer the circuits. One user even took some x-ray pictures of the component lay out. Eventually they must have given up and bought a new control board, but it's interesting to study their efforts:
http://forum.nutsvolts.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=212&sid=cffa51ebf3aa20370ffca57286652ee4&start=30

Reactions: Ssyko