Whitfield advantage II-T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nbracing

Oct 5, 2020
Western Massachusetts
Hello I’m new to the forum and hopefully I’m in the right place for some help. I have a 1990 Whitfield Advantage II-T that was give to me. It has been in storage for a few years. The problem I’m having is when I first turn the stove on both the convection and exhaust blowers start at a high rpm. This lasts for a few seconds then then both go to a low rpm. I have no control over the speed of either of them after initial start up. No matter what the setting the stove only burns low. I have cleaned the stove completely and oiled the motors with no results. I’m completely new to pellet stoves (only wood until now) and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Your probably going to have to pull your control board out and inspect the components and the traces on the board. Over the years the copper can deteriorate and lift off the board or separate. Let us know how it looks, pics help if possible

It's normal for the fans to run on high for 5 seconds, kind of a way to clear any debris or it tests them, I have a 1998 and has done it since day one....get used to it, you dont like it, i'll come up and take it off your hands

Last edited:
It's normal for the fans to run on high for 5 seconds, kind of a way to clear any debris or it tests them, I have a 1998 and has done it since day one....get used to it, you dont like it, i'll come up and take it off your hands
The initial start is not the problem. It’s the fact they never speed up again no matter what the setting is or how long the fire is burning.

If there is a mode switch or setting, try putting it to manual. See if that makes a difference.

With a little luck it's just the thermostat jumper that is missing. Your description of the issue certainly points in that direction.
Please read the last line in this screen shot from the manual. From a Quest manual, but applies for an Advantage II T as well.

Thermostat installation.jpg

Reactions: Nbracing
Thank you Stovensen and everyone one else. It was the jumper wire for the thermostat. The quick clip must have been hit when we moved it and broke it. Stove is running almost perfect now. Only issue I have now is the amount of fly ash building up around the burn pot.

Reactions: Howitzer73