Whitfield Pilot light not staying lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

normhar

Jan 15, 2022
Idaho Falls Idaho
I purchased a Whitfield Propane fireplace and the pilot light does not stay lit. The previous owner said it was working when he stopped a couple of years ago. I attach the propane to the stove using a 100# bottle... I press the pilot light button and light the pilot... hold it for a long time and when I let go, it goes out. Someone told me that I needed to replace the Thermopile, which I did... still the same thing. Any Ideas for me??? Thanks a lot

IMG_5974.JPEG

You need to replace the thermocouple. That controls gas flow to the pilot.
If you were told to replace the thermopile, you were told the wrong info.
The thermopile controls gas flow to the burner.

Hmmm. Not familiar with this set up, but if I had to
venture a guess, I'd say that the T-Pile is too low...
Generally, the pilot flame needs to engulf about
3/8" at the top of the T-Pile...
Can you raise it in the assembly?

I think that I can....when I light the pilot there are small flames around the T-pile... I also used a torch to heat it up a bit to see if I could jumpstart it

I cant move it up anymore and yes I only heat up the tip...the T-Pile goes through a "spill switch" I have hooked up the T-Pile to route through this switch and bypassing it as well... still does not stay lit

Do you have a multimeter?
Set it to milliVolts & with the torch on the T-Pile,
take a reading off the terminals where it's connected to the valve.
What reading do you get?

I was able to get the pilot light to stay lit!!!... I blew out the lines and re-tightened everything...and then I put a torch to the T-Pile and it worked.... now to the next issue...when I turn the stove on... the burner only partially lights up...its like there is not enough propane being pushed into the burner.... any ideas? I am using a propane tank with a regulator... same line I use for my propable heater, which works fine... are there different regulators? I am a cabinet maker and work with wood...do not know much about stoves etc!!! so thanks for your help!!!

Refresh my memory. Have you pulled the burner & cleaned it out?
If you do that, also pull the burner orifice & clean behind it.
Did you ever take a reading on the thermopile?