Who are you, where are you from..and what do you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim, 52
I am a supervisor producing Alon/Spinel (transparent aluminum) missile domes and ballistic glass for the military (R&D;). Also non oxide alumium nitride.

Married 32 years, 2 boys,
Live in south western nys in the woods, i have 60+ acres a great pond and built my own home 30 miles from anywhere. driveway 1450' from the main road (lots of plowing).

Hobbies: hunting, fishing,building, burning (30years).
120 mile commute to work and back each day (wow)

pics:

5.jpg

66-65-75412.jpg

66-65-75410-1.jpg

Name: Dan
Occ: public water supply hauler and farmer
Hobbies: hunting, fishing, convertibles
Burning: forever

Occupation- Mortgage Sales, for now.
Past occupations: Plumber/service tech, Lowes dept mgr,Electrician apprentice

Own a house, have 2 dogs, no kids.

Hobbies: Fishing,Hunting, Gardening, making beer.

Got into woodburning after finding this site. Third season.

Education/Occupation: Formerly trial lawyer for the insurance industry, small town newspaper reporter,
and small business owner (coffee shop and roastery). Recently sold my small business and working
part time as a coffee roaster for the new owners.

Hobbies: Long distance backpacker (GA>ME '96), home brewer, travel, spending time in my 12 acres of woods.
Married and have two adopted kids, 11 and 8.

Years burning: Have had a variety of fireplaces and one woodstove since I was a kid. With the help of this site
and the Isle Royale, last year was my first year of better burning.

Other sites: alt.coffee, timesfour.com (a Wisconsin sports forum)

Name: Gary (imagine that)

Location: Central Kansas, 100 and some odd miles west of Kansas City

Occupation: County Engineer (mainly roads and bridges, sometimes buildings)

Burning: Fireplaces off & on for years, serious burning- 3years

Hobbies: I own a farm about an hour north of here that keeps me busy. Has a very small, 100 yr. old house on it that my wife refers to as my "man fort". I also bird hunt, mushroom hunt, and attend farm auctions.

Education:BS mechanical Engineer & Material Engineer

Hobbies; Collecting/Restoring old Land Rovers, Hunting, Backpacking, Home Brewing

Years Burning: 50yrs fireplaces 0 years boiler (first fire in a few weeks!)

Education: BS aerodynamics University of Iowa

Burning: 1st year stove owner. New Jotul Oslo with 25' rigid stainless 6" chimney. "Let it snow"

Hobbies: Snowmobile Racing, Hunting and Fishing

Location: Saratoga NY, close enough to everything I need and far enough away to never hear cars and trucks

Music: Folk, Celtic, The Grateful Dead, Blues, pretty much anything that doesn't jar me out of my daydreams

Hobbies: Coaching Soccer and Hockey for Kids and learning new things. Latest interests have been bread making, fruit trees, and raising chickens. Also like cooking, trying to learn to play the guitar, remodel projects around the house, and of course cutting wood.

Dislikes: Excercise for the sake of excercise

Years Burning: Five years with a small quadrafire I inherited with my first house, took a few years off after we moved, buring lots wood in a useless though attractive fireplace. First year with the Equinox.

Occupation : RN, Mary Kay Skin Care Consultant and Monavie Distributor

Years Burning: 3 weeks

Hobbies and such: Knitting, RV'ing, walking, recreational hiking, snowboarding, picking up every lost animal in the world and finding them homes.............

Proud mom of two men, and 2 doxie girls that run the household and now a cat that has adopted us and hasn't left for 2 weeks. I think she has joined the family, with no permission of ours.

Name: Daniel
occupation: former stone mason, now homesteading; raising kids, chickens, hogs and vegetables.
years burning: 21
interests: interested in getting my house done! (is my wife on this forum?)

Name not dan

age 30

Truck driver was OTR now local (gosh I feel like the white trash now thanks ;) )

bruning about 25 years now started loading a stove when i was about 5

location central missouri near the nuclear power plant in callaway county

hobbies: Hunting, recycling trees in my summit, Shooting, and Reloading.

Neil

54 year old

Retired Firefighter after 25 years.

Live... Stratford Upon Avon England, Shakespeare's birth place.

Hobbies.....Golf, Watching Soccer (Aston Villa) Randy Learner anyone? drinking English Ale (yummy).

First year of burning with my Jotul f250 (why didn't I do this years ago folks.)

Free wood as I know a few tree surgeons who just drop it around my yard for free.

Hi, we are Kevin and Helen

We live about 10 min. North of Flint Michigan

Kevin is an Auto Glass Tech and Helen is an LPN

ages 40's and 30's

We just purchased our Appalachian 4N1 XL this summer so it is our first couple of weeks learning to use the stove.

Kevin is a hunter and fisherman. Helen fishes and gardens. :)

John

Years Burning: 1

Hobbies and such: landscaping, renovating my house, camping, my bassett hound

fossil said:
Rick

60 in two months

Retired in 2000 after 30+ years in uniform

Born & raised in California, now living in Oregon in my last house

Studied Architecture for 3 years before joining the Navy in 1969 to keep out of the Army.

3 degrees in Mechanical Engineering, they make for nice wallpaper

1 daughter, 24, about to complete her Master's in mathematics

Woodwork, metalwork, resto-rodding a '36 Ford p/u, riding my '02 Deuce when weather permits, picking on Jags

Burning wood for about 12 years or so, more "seriously" these days

Just curious, I'm also a Mechanical Engineer, but are you 3 degrees as a ME BA, MA and PhD?

Name: Gary

Hometown: Lincoln Maine. Born in Bangor Maine. Lived in Manomet Mass.(next door to Plymouth) until I was 7 years old and then moved back to Maine to our hometown area of Lincoln Maine.

Years burning: Going into second year with pellets. Burned wood for many years before that.

Hobbies: Red Sox baseball baby! Patriots! Woodworking, gardening, pool, fitness,love the outdoors and working in the yard with my Cub Cadet. Probably have more but cant think this morning....

Family is a big part of us(the wife and I) I have 3 grown children from my first marriage. My wife doesnt have kids of her own...so her and I keep busy with the grandkids....gotta love em :)

Me: Political but not obnoxious about it.

Wife: Absolutely no political bone in her body...lol.

Matt

Years Burning: 2

Hobbies and such: residential remodel work, gun (bird) dogs, classic mustangs

We'll be heating with two stoves this year for the first time. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to sustain our wood pile with both stoves firing 24/7.

Occupation : Mechanical engineer for a mid sized manufacturing company (we make a very diverse line of widgets).

Years Burning: 30+. I was the labor for mom and dad...we ran a Defiant. They still have it. When I moved to my own crib I started burning before the house was done and have not looked back. 24/7 from then on.

Hobbies and such: Hunting and fishing (as time permits), attending motor sports events of all kinds (Drag racing, Nascar, World of Outlaws Sprints [dirt track racing is my favorite], midgets, snowmobile drags, hydroplane racing...if it goes fast and makes a lot of noise i'll watch it...unless it's F1.), R/C anything with my boy, model rocketry....and of course harvesting firewood. As a yout I was a pyro addict whether it was fireworks, monster firecrackers (1/4 sticks RULE) or home made splodey devises. I've out grown that but I still dig a big thump from others who have the bug.

Name: Ed, 40 years old next month
Years Burning: Grew up with the old pot bellys, looking forward to purchasing a stove next year when we move into a new house
Hobbies: Avid Reader, Listening to Music (Old and new Tube Amps and Pre amps) and bowling
Family: Married for 17+ years, 14 year old, 11 year old and 8 year old (2 boys and my little girl)
Education: Information Management and Religion

Ken

Age- 51

Occupation- Professional Career Explorer (will NEVER retire) careers include, but not limited to, jet mechanic, machinist, commercial
diver, draft horse farmer, electrician, carpenter, Coach USA driver, ski bum, writer, currently contemplating my next chapter

Location- Hamlet of Fancher, somewhere between Rochester and Buffalo, N.Y.

Years Burning- more off than on for 40 years

Hobbies and such- conceptualizing, music (roots type rock and traditional blues), movies, working, working, I love working, and eating
- first and last wife going on 23 years, one daughter and one son finally gone but certainly not forgotten
-maybe soon we'll sell the farm and move to Mexico

Name: Jeff
Years burning: 4 in current house, when I grew up(back in Canisteo, NY) that’s all we used for heat.
Other: Wife, 2 kids a boy and girl.

Name: Mike
Burning History: 2.5 woodstoves. Burning for five years?
Hobbies: back country skiing, climbing, motorcycles and racing (hence the dnf=did not finish), sailing, road/mtn biking.
Other: wife, no kids, and a new dog (long haired wiener dog).

Degree: Environmental Science

Occupation: GIS Analyst. Thematic mapping, and GIS analysis for an egineering firm in Topsham ME. Primarily deal with water/wastewater infrastructure for municipalities.

Grew up burning wood/coal but only going on two years with new EPA certified stove.

Hobbies: Fishing (open water and ice), hunting, snowmobiling, soon to be gardening, and getting away from civilization and out into the woods as much as possible.

Name: Noah
Education: BFA in Painting and Printmaking
Occupation: Director of Photography (camera guy for a film and video production company)
Hobbies: Gardening, Photography, Running, and of course all woodburning activities
Family: Married with 2 boys- 7 and 3, so not much extra time for the hobbies above...
Music: Anything but modern country or top 40 pop. From Hank Williams and Bob Wills to Black Flag and Bad Brains.
Burning: 9 years with a smokedragon in our old house, going on our first full year with the Hampton insert in our new house after installing last year. I wish I had found this website much sooner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.