Who is ready for the snow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
They are calling for some big snowfall amounts in some places.

Long Island might not be that bad as it will mix in with rain too.

I made sure to give the stove a good cleaning on Saturday, dumped out the ashes, and stacked 19 bags of pellets indoor. Good thing about this stove is it can go 2-3 weeks without cleaning.

Of course, if the power goes out, I am out of luck cause I keep procrastinating on the generator.

I figure it can't be any worse than the Feb storm a few years ago, 80mph was the top wind speed, trees down everywhere, power out for 3 days and 4 ft of snow drifted into a good part of my yard, especially out back . When I go on generator though, it powers my oil burner not my stove. Snow blowing was fun, I have over 180 ft of driveway and parking but the Ariens did it. I have to air up one tire, the right tire is a little soft and the left hard, so it wants to turn right. i thought I blew a sheer pin last week but it's not that, has to be the tire .

But right now, latest forecast is talking about a rain snow mix here on the cape. And mostly rain in the afternoon, hope they are right. Actually hope they are wrong and it's all rain LOL !

Sounds like our last several days has made it your way. Not much snow but steady winds of 30-40 mph and gusts over 60 in places. Wind chills well below zero, and some nights were below zero to begin with.

Bring it on
Stove cleaned √
Plenty of pellets √
Generator ready √
Snowblower ready √

got my hand operated on today (trigger fingers). My wife is going to snow blow. I'm sure my one good hand is gonna get involved. Gonna be an adventure.

Reactions: vinny11950
Snow wise the storm has been downgraded to a winter weather advisory for the cape.Possible 1-4" and quickly changing to rain till heavy rain comes in mid afternoon.. Still under a high wind warning with gusts to 65 MPH ( pretty typical for us in a NE storm) 30-40 sustained. And coastal flood warnings but I'm well above flood plain level here, So hopefully it will stay that way and hopefully the trees around my main yard will stay vertical.

Snow has been replaced by sleet and wind. Big gusts now, driving the sleet into the face.

Snowing steady here, we have about an inch on the ground and it looks like the whole thing is going to come ashore here in the next hour or two as rain if the maps mean anything. My thermometer says 33, the weathers say 36, one of them is right. If I don't have to snow blow that would be nice. Right now the wind ene@24. That ene turn of the wind isn't a particularly good sign.

Last edited:
Ready. Two stoves that don't require electric (no pellets, here!), and this in the barn:

snowblowers.jpg

Bring it on!

wood_storage.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
Got about 18" so far ,still coming down!

Raining now, has been for nearly an hour and there isn't even all that much activity over the water at this point according to the maps now. I'd say this thing is busted for around here. There is a huge gap in the map from Conn. south basically. Windy though.

Last edited:
Seems to have been over-hyped here, too. I don't think we even got a foot, and it's mostly just freezing rain and wind.

They seem to overestimate the majority of these storms on the news. Anyone remember the boy who cried wolf?

Guess this storm moved inland. According to my local weather we got 1.1" of snow before it turned over to rain, right now it's slush out there but it's now supposed to go into the 40's later today so that should be gone.

Last edited:
No, well I doubt it. But I hope my canoe doesn't get torpedoed into my house, I like that canoe LOL !

Last edited:
Already have at least a foot here, hard to tell wind swirling 40+ mph so it's thin in some parts of the yard, 2 feet in other parts. Power flickered a few times but still on. Hampton & Seabrook have close to 6000 w/o power.

Sam

We have power, the more or less easterly wind has been very strong and the lights flickered a few times but I think around 6:00 things are supposed to change up a bit. Our worst winds were to be during the afternoon. It's been raining steady. The last flicker I saw was around 2. I think we are going to come out of this thing pretty good all in all. Hah, my ash can lid flew off, I had one gutter down spout that was iced up and backed up , had to clear that. I got a small puddle in the basement from that. We now have no more snow from last weekend on the roof but that run off is what was backing up. That is now over with. The driveway is now clear and I see some bare spots in the back yard now, in fact a dove was out there checking it out LOL.

Just about done here. Just did some shoveling and the snow is was and heavy. Really gave me a workout. Tonight everything is supposed to ice up.

Ya the big hole I mentioned being down by Conn earlier is now about 5 miles off my doorstep presently, literally. The wind died out, it's down to 17 like most any day around these parts. The rain let up to a spinkle, it's in the 40's now.

Were up to about 20 in and still snowing in east central PA. House is 80 Deg so no one is suffering here.

Were up to about 20 in and still snowing in east central PA. House is 80 Deg so no one is suffering here.
I wonder if that is some sort of local condition, cause this thing is outta here never mind there.