Whole-house wood-burning furnace from 1980?

edge-of-the-woods Posted By edge-of-the-woods, Jan 7, 2019 at 3:02 PM

Dismiss Notice
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!....and Happy Holidays!
  1. edge-of-the-woods

edge-of-the-woods
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2014
    Loc:
    Hamden, CT USA
    Hi there! So my parents are looking to buy this house, and it has a "whole house wood burning stove" listed as a feature. I got in there today to see it, and it's interesting, but the firebox seems tiny. The firebox looks smaller than my Regency insert, and this is for a 2,500 square foot house.

What do you think about this thing? I'll add some pics.

Thanks!

IMG_20190107_131713.jpg IMG_20190107_131607.jpg IMG_20190107_131707.jpg IMG_20190107_131649.jpg MVIMG_20190107_131555.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Smoke pipe looks a little, um, snakey?

Is galvanized duct work ok? Maybe it is but I'm leery.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Woodman1

Woodman1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 15, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Looks like a nice clean install of a add on wood furnace from 40 years ago when fuel prices first spiked. Considering it's age it looks relatively clean, probably from lack of use. I would be very cautious with it for the first few fires making sure there are no hard to see cracks that show up. Im sure it will make heat at the cost of a healthy wood appetite. As far as adding value to the house....maybe, but I think you would have a hard time trying to get $200.00 if you wanted to sell it

4. edge-of-the-woods

edge-of-the-woods
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Nov 21, 2014
    Loc:
    Hamden, CT USA
    Thank you!

We had the home inspection, and the inspector recommended having the whole thing removed, for homeowner's insurance reasons. the town building official said the same thing, and doubled down on it because the owners didn't get a permit for it when they had it installed. Looks like we'll need to get a licensed contractor to come out and remove it.

I love the concept of this furnace, but not if wasn't done properly and could be a liability.

5. Wood1Dennis

Wood1Dennis
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 17, 2016
    Loc:
    Eastern Wisconsin
    You could always look into getting the permits, lining the chimney and installing a new one.....

6. KC Matt

KC Matt
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 29, 2016
    Loc:
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't let the code inspector influence your decision. Those people know absolutely nothing about wood heat or most anything else. They come out, look at the thing listed on the permit, and sign off or not. Whether they sign off or not has nothing to do with codes, best practices, common sense, or safety. Most of those guys have zero experience in construction, engineering, or any related field. The permitting process is a joke because they don't dedicate the resources to hire qualified inspectors that actually know what they are looking at.

As to your furnace I can't help you. I'd employ qualified help in that area.

jaoneill, sloeffle and macattack_ga like this.