Who's bought a VC refractory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
My wife has taken a real shine to the stove and is now burning it almost 24/7 these last few days beause... it's been really freaking cold out.

However this means instead of repairing the old refractory and taking the stove apart 100 times to make sure it's holding together and otherwise happy, I started pricing out a new refractory.

It looks like $195.24, anyone got a better price or seen them cheaper? Local stove store wants $510.

While I love this effort, he didn't post measurements of the box. :)

Theirs doesn't include the stupid cover, which is actually probably the only serviceable part in my stove. (Why does it need a cover? I'm guessing to protect the side of the cat). But rather than buying one and going OH MY OLD AND CRAPPY PART DOESN'T FIT, I figured I would buy it part and parcel. I'm starting to think this is something I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on and take mine apart for the measurements.

tiber said:
Theirs doesn't include the stupid cover, which is actually probably the only serviceable part in my stove. (Why does it need a cover? I'm guessing to protect the side of the cat). But rather than buying one and going OH MY OLD AND CRAPPY PART DOESN'T FIT, I figured I would buy it part and parcel. I'm starting to think this is something I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on and take mine apart for the measurements.

Mine's been discontinued.

I mucked about with a perlite/furnace cement mixture and metal pin repairs on mine for a year or two.
I considered making a new chamber, but in the end it wasn't worth the time it'd take to build proper forms to the correct tolerances etc. Also didn't want to get part way into the heating season only the find that the homemade effort had failed.
So, before last season, I finally bought a replacement from Black Swan. I simply used the chamber cover from the old one on the new chamber.
If you buy a new chamber, you could probably cut a new cover piece out of the old chamber's wall if it's not entirely crumbled. Or make a new cover from perlite/furnace cement.

Status
Not open for further replies.