Why Stop With Just Manual Splitting...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter

Reminds me of starting my Poulon. :p Seems to me a nice sharp bow saw is a heck of a lot more efficient than that goofy thing.

Reminds me of starting my Poulon. :p Seems to me a nice sharp bow saw is a heck of a lot more efficient than that goofy thing.

I was thinking the same thing . . . maybe the only advantage might be its compact size, although I have a Japanese folding razor saw that could do as good a job -- if not better -- in the same or less amount of time without being much bigger.

Yep, after seeing that I think I'll put the chainsaws up for sale. And I'll generate so much body heat from using it I won't even need a stove either.

Geesh - my survival school instructor would die laughing at this fella??? A. conservation of energy is paramount in a "true" survival situation so every action is debated with caloric requirement. B. in a true survival situation I suggest spending that type of energy with your bow/drill fire starter and then letting the fire cut your logs to length.

There is no space in a survival kit for that silly thing

Probably the most inefficient use of a chain possible. And that was probably an easy one! Probably good excersize!

Well, given the 'survival' tag on it, I expect it is all about the size. Most of us back packers had some kind of wire saw with us. Pain in the ass carrying a bow saw unless you are clearing trails off. Size and weight are the issues on the trail...

Reactions: ScotO
Our sister ATV club bought a few cheaper versions of the Japanese folding razor saw . . . it may have a little more bulk and a bit more weight than a wire saw, but the things chew through wood like you would not believe . . . perfect for taking out 2 inch or less wood/branches in seconds and it may take a little longer, but it will cut larger wood at a pretty fast clip.

Similar to:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/japanese-style-folding-pull-saw_c5950?zenid=1j0fppbal385kp648draflncu4

wouldn't hurt to have one in your hunting pack for a pinch. There is another benefit......if you have a high limb that you can't reach (say for a shooting lane out in the woods), you can throw a weighted rope over said limb and attach that 'chain' saw to it, put another rope on the other end of that saw, pull it up the tree and remove the high branch pretty easily. Again, all fits in your hunting pack and you would never know it was even in there. As for cutting cordwood, I'll stick with my Stihls.......

http://www.rei.com/product/404013/sven-folding-saw-21

Perfect choice for most applications mentioned above. Hunting, backpacking, light camping, etc.. For survival take a quality, full tang, heavy bladed knife made of high carbon steel. Leave the gimicky chain saw thing at home. Biggest issue with a survival situation is the planning - you just don't know when you will be in one(hopefully never) To have a knife in a survival situation increases your chances of making it, and even being relatively comfortable, exponentially. Always carry a knife, always.

...Always carry a knife, always.

Oh, I do, I do. I've carried this beautiful little Schrade in my pocket since my ex-FIL (now deceased) gave it to me at Christmastime 30 years ago. schrade.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Always carry a knife, always.

I try to. I usually carry both a Benchmade CQC7 and a Leatherman Super Tool that has a dinky little saw that works surprisingly well for small stuff. Unfortunately, when I fly, I rarely ever check a bag so I can't carry a knife with me on those extended trips.

I have seen modified versions of these things on poles, meant to take limbs down. Sort of like a pole saw with chain.

Actually, the tool is not as bad as this video shows. With a sharp chain it is quite easy to cut through the size he has there. However, I never could understand why people try to cut like he is. As you get through partway, the danged thing has to pinch. So if cutting from the underside, the log has to be supported to stop the pinch. These things can also be handy for hunters for clearing limbs and brush. However, I would not want to do much cutting with them as they can wear you out pretty fast. Survival tool? Maybe but a bit heavy to carry as a survival thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.