Wife Friendly Wood Gasification Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HOW MUCH IS THE Fröling Turbo 3000? Please let me know what the price is going to be. I have an oil burner and a hot water collector. I want to get this thing attached to my hydronic heating system. What do you think? Just in case my wife doesn't wanna operate it. Please email me. Thanks.

Fred61 said:
I got the AD-1 from Volko.
http://www.draftinducers.com/ad1.htm

Since it is not an essential component in the operation of my system, I just installed it, added a power cord and plugged it in to an outlet. I turn it on in the preliminary stages of a new fire to speed up the ignition of the small splits and then turn it off because the fast moving air flowing past the newly ignited wood doesn't allow the adjacent wood to ignite. Shut it off and let the flame spread and then close the bottom door. When re-loading reach over, flip it on and slowly open the door. Or in my case open the door, get a face full of smoke, slam the door and THEN turn on the inducer fan.

Do you seem to get any fly ash coming back out of the draft inducer?

pybyr said:
Fred61 said:
I got the AD-1 from Volko.
http://www.draftinducers.com/ad1.htm

Since it is not an essential component in the operation of my system, I just installed it, added a power cord and plugged it in to an outlet. I turn it on in the preliminary stages of a new fire to speed up the ignition of the small splits and then turn it off because the fast moving air flowing past the newly ignited wood doesn't allow the adjacent wood to ignite. Shut it off and let the flame spread and then close the bottom door. When re-loading reach over, flip it on and slowly open the door. Or in my case open the door, get a face full of smoke, slam the door and THEN turn on the inducer fan.

Do you seem to get any fly ash coming back out of the draft inducer?

I don't understand your question. I do get fly ash in the elbow exiting the rear of the EKO. A tee with cleanout is still on the "to do" list. If I remember correctly, they recommend installing the inducer on the top of horizontal runs but I didn't know why.

Back to the original question - I just saw the Froeling boiler at SunWood Systems here in Vermont. Very impressive, even though they've dumbed it down for the US market. Extremely easy to light fires, nearly full automatic operation, huge firebox, retains coals for a long time between fires, and has built-in smoke extraction.

Fred61 said:
Isn't it interesting how the opposite sex has got us convinced that they are too dumb to do any of this stuff. Reading this thread reminds me of the time that I bought a couple rolls of used chain link fence and couldn't snag anyone to help me load it so I took her along. Not far from where the rolls of fence were there was a guy having trouble starting his car. She went over to him and made a deal that I would help him jump his car if he would help me load the fence. I had to provide the labor to load the stuff along with the other guy and I had to help him start his car. She never lifted a finger, sat in the truck and smiled.

And my bet is you reaped the bennies later, after she watched you two guys get all sweaty workin' out for her.

That's truly a win-win thang goin' on . . .

Now that the EKO's are shipping with a draft inducer, there's no fear of smoke out the door when loading. I fully intend for my mom to be able to load this system and run it.......

The EKO is easy to runonce it's setup the only complaint is the smoke when loading so I will be adding an inducer . My wife has never and will never load or start the boiler she had a flashback with an old furnace some years ago and got burned ever since she stays away from that type of stuff, it works out ok since I am home enough to keep it going and on the rare time I can't we just use the gas.

Like someone else in this thread said, using a gasification boiler is no more difficult than loading a traditional wood stove. Explain to whom ever is going to load a gasser, that is important to put wood in so it does not bridge up. Close the door, pull the bypass lever out - that's it! I can't even count how many "better halves" have questioned me about their ability to load the Econoburn. I gladly show them just how simple it really is. I even had one individual make the statement "I'll never touch the thing". Well, oil got to $4.00 plus per gallon, guess what, she now loads it as often as her husband. My daughter was 13 when we first placed our Econoburn in service, she has as well as my wife loaded the boiler when I am away at trade shows. They even take out the ashes every now and then!
It all boils down to educating everyone who is going to load the gassers to the proper loading procedures.

My contribution to this discussion is based on hard-won experience:

Don't open the door until the fire has burned down to coals.

It's a REALLY bad idea to open the top door on a gasifier when it's cranking along, and there is no reason to do so other than misguided curiosity. Let it burn down, then reload. A clock or stack thermometer is your friend. With a little experience you'll know when it's time.

nofossil,

I've been able (so far) to open the top door of my Tarm to reload anytime during the burn, but only when the fan is running. Since I have a tank, the Tarm generally runs full bore all of the time. Am I risking singed arm hair?

DC

DenaliChuck said:
nofossil,

I've been able (so far) to open the top door of my Tarm to reload anytime during the burn, but only when the fan is running. Since I have a tank, the Tarm generally runs full bore all of the time. Am I risking singed arm hair?

DC

I dunno. With the EKO (and I'd assume any gasifier) the top chamber is full of highly flammable but oxygen starved wood gas when the boiler is running hard. After all, that's the same wood gas that's mixed with fresh air in the nozzle to create secondary combustion.

Opening the door introduces plenty of oxygen rich air. It should explode nicely - don't know why you haven't had that experience.

In order to avoid possibly meeting a ball of combusting gas face-to-face as Nofossil mentions could happen, some of the boilers (such as my Econoburn) even have an interlock of sorts that makes it difficult to open the top chamber unless the bypass from the top chamber to the the flue is open (one _could_ manage to open the door without first opening the bypass, but only by deliberately working around the lock-out with some thought and effort- which hopefully would cause one to realize not to do that) and it's a simple but sturdy design.

So I'm curious about the differences in design. All gasifiers produce a noxious and explosive mixture of gases in the primary chamber when operating. The only way I can imagine being able to open the primary door during gasification is to purge that gas up the flue via the bypass damper. Purging it means introducing fresh air to an explosive mixture.

I've been able in some cases to do this with the EKO - opening the bypass damper, then slowly and carefully opening the primary door, allowing enough time to gradually purge the producer gas. However, it's not a guaranteed thing and I'm curious how other brands manage it.

For my part, it's mostly idle curiosity - once I got over my compulsion to mess with it unnecessarily, this ceased to be a problem. The way I use it, there's never a need to add wood until the bulk of the gasifying phase of the fire is over. It's trivial to open the door once secondary combustion has died down - there's not an explosive mixture in the primary chamber any more.

Early in my gasification career I discovered another explosion hazard - opening the damper during gasification with the fan running. Opening the bypass damper allows the fan to suddenly introduce MUCH more fresh air to the primary chamber. Done right, it can create a very impressive explosion which could easily blow the flue pipe off of the boiler and / or out of the chimney. I have retaining straps and riveted joints on my flue pipe to prevent that possibility should anyone ever make that mistake.

nofossil said:
My contribution to this discussion is based on hard-won experience:

Don't open the door until the fire has burned down to coals.

It's a REALLY bad idea to open the top door on a gasifier when it's cranking along, and there is no reason to do so other than misguided curiosity. Let it burn down, then reload. A clock or stack thermometer is your friend. With a little experience you'll know when it's time.

Fully agree and well said.

Hmmm. Seems I'm making all the mistakes.

I'm burning well seasoned, well split white birch, loading a 1,000 gallon tank for DHW.

The Tarm runs full bore, but I've been able to open the loading door to reload the anytime during the burn. There is a door/damper interlock forcing me to open the damper first, then the door. I've never had a pop, much less an explosion out the door or out the chimney.

Still, it's worth a procedural change to avoid the chance.

My wife runs our Greenwood just fine. Just wired the draft inducer and damper door to a hot tub timer. Just turn the dial wait a few seconds, open door, put wood in, close door.

We made the switch from an old wood stove last year.

Adding to my previous post. We never had the fire go out on us!! 12 hr burns were not uncommon there was always a few coals left. So having the wife build a fire was not an issue.

I don't have a direct answer, as I'm just installling my Econoburn gasification boiler this month.
But I do have some advice - get her some fire starters. Not just kindling, newspaper and matches (but she should learn!), but get her some manufactured fire starters. Hit the side of it with a match and close the door stuff.
I just got a free sample today from Super Cedar. They have a link in the forum and will mail you a couple of free pucks. Search for "Supar Cedar Free Samples" and E-mail Thomas - he got back to me within a business day, and I got my samples about 10 days later.
That will make her fire starting a lot easier, and thereby some of your worries should be put to rest.
Happy burning. Keep us in the loop with your choice, install and operation.

Get a Nofossil Control System!!! :) Ok, not the cheapest way, but from what I'm seeing of these babies, they are the cat's meow! Nofossil here has put a ton of effort into these and the possibilities for control are endless.....

Status
Not open for further replies.