Wifi Thermostat for Millivolt Gas Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dastro

Sep 29, 2020
Columbus, OH
I'm wanting to put a gas stove in a pool shed that is detached from our house. I'm looking at a couple different models that have millivolt remote ready gas valves (Buck Stove Steel Series or Model 329). I found a wifi thermostat (LUX GEO) that doesn't require 24v for power as it uses onboard lithium batteries. It's literature says it can be used with millivolt systems. My question is, do I need to insert a relay in between the tstat and stove?
From owner's manual: The thermostat control on this heater differs from standard thermostats. Standard thermostats simply turn burner on and off. The thermostat used on this heater senses room temperature and adjusts amount of gas flow to burner. This will increase or decrease flame height.

Last edited: