Will La Nordica Milly Wood Burning Cook Stove heat 1,600 sq ft home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frontierdreams

Nov 17, 2022
usa
Hey there! We are hoping to get a wood cook stove that we can cook on/bake in AND will also heat our small home. Our home is open concept so the dining room, living room and kitchen are basically all one room. We were looking at the La Nordica Milly Wood Burning Cook Stove but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Will it heat up a home as the main source of heat? TIA!!

Hey there! We are hoping to get a wood cook stove that we can cook on/bake in AND will also heat our small home. Our home is open concept so the dining room, living room and kitchen are basically all one room. We were looking at the La Nordica Milly Wood Burning Cook Stove but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? Will it heat up a home as the main source of heat? TIA!!
What size space are you trying to heat? The firebox on that stove is really small to be a primary heat source.

Also, what is your outdoor temps? As bholler writes Milly’s firebox is small, just 1.2 cu. ft. Our cook stove, a Waterford Stanley has a fire box of similar size. We heat the redone, well insulated 900 ft2 first floor our 1500 ft2, 1850’s farm house with the stove together with a 15000btu mini split heat pump which I belive has a COP of 2 at 5 deg.. In winter we close off the 2nd floor with a tabbed quilt that still does allow heat and some air flow to the upstaiirs. We can heat the main floor at 0 deg if we had to with just the stove but it is a just barely with frequent feeding including a wake up. Can’t say it’s toasty. Since moving down to the coast we haven’t had much colder than that.

We love how our stove cooks and bakes but wish it was a better heater and also that we could get it rebuilt. We very seriously have looked at both heating and cook stoves. We have close clearance and space limitations which eliminated quite a few. For heating we really like Jotul F45 Greenville and must have looked online at every cookstove on the market. As you may have found European cookstoves seem to have fireboxes under 1.5. All of listed firebox cu. footage may or may not be useful, like the box has a 20 inch length but you have a shed full of 16 inch wood.

Some JA Roby stoves have larger fireboxes. Looks like they are the first to meet epa standards rather than be classified exempt. It seems to me a tricky thing to design a cookstove to that standard. They say some models qualify for the tax credit as well. As cookers and overall I have my doubts but I hope they prove successful. The La Nordica America has a very large firebox for a cooker but a large size and price tag as well. Some Margin Stoves are very interesting as potential dual purpose stoves for smaller well winterized houses. Would fit our needs for close clearances and limited space. However I see their seven inch flues as a mismatch with our or any existing six inch chimney.

Also, what is your outdoor temps? As bholler writes Milly’s firebox is small, just 1.2 cu. ft. Our cook stove, a Waterford Stanley has a fire box of similar size. We heat the redone, well insulated 900 ft2 first floor our 1500 ft2, 1850’s farm house with the stove together with a 15000btu mini split heat pump which I belive has a COP of 2 at 5 deg.. In winter we close off the 2nd floor with a tabbed quilt that still does allow heat and some air flow to the upstaiirs. We can heat the main floor at 0 deg if we had to with just the stove but it is a just barely with frequent feeding including a wake up. Can’t say it’s toasty. Since moving down to the coast we haven’t had much colder than that.

We love how our stove cooks and bakes but wish it was a better heater and also that we could get it rebuilt. We very seriously have looked at both heating and cook stoves. We have close clearance and space limitations which eliminated quite a few. For heating we really like Jotul F45 Greenville and must have looked online at every cookstove on the market. As you may have found European cookstoves seem to have fireboxes under 1.5. All of listed firebox cu. footage may or may not be useful, like the box has a 20 inch length but you have a shed full of 16 inch wood.

Some JA Roby stoves have larger fireboxes. Looks like they are the first to meet epa standards rather than be classified exempt. It seems to me a tricky thing to design a cookstove to that standard. They say some models qualify for the tax credit as well. As cookers and overall I have my doubts but I hope they prove successful. The La Nordica America has a very large firebox for a cooker but a large size and price tag as well. Some Margin Stoves are very interesting as potential dual purpose stoves for smaller well winterized houses. Would fit our needs for close clearances and limited space. However I see their seven inch flues as a mismatch with our or any existing six inch chimney.
We were looking at the Margin flameview but I came across a post that Woody @ Obadiah had with someone that was having issues with this cooker . Now this was back in 2013 so I don't know if the design of this has been re-configured since....The stove had quite a bit of issues from what I read..Mainly what repelled us from it was the cleaning of the oval adapter and no good access to clean out the upper area of the exhaust channels. We're now looking at a Heco 420 or 520........ We'd get the Cadillac of a cook stove if we could get one at a 2013 price...If I knew they have corrected all the problems we might would reconsider the purchase of a flameview