Will pellet stove work in this space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

godblsmnymkr

Oct 15, 2017
Canada
Hey there
Want to put a pellet stove on the hearth in front of my old ZC fireplace and vent it horizontally through the wood wall to the left.
I imagine I would have to use some sort of elbow to make it work.
The hearth is 18” deep so I imagine I would have to make it deeper.
It’s probably 2’ from the middle of the firebox to the start of the wood wall.
Would this plan work with a manufacturers specifications?
Ty!

Attachments

• 0356AE64-D4CE-4072-9AAD-CBF32ECEDD87.jpeg
    0356AE64-D4CE-4072-9AAD-CBF32ECEDD87.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 194
Take a look at my avatar. I did something similar with Mine. I used a 4" stainless chimney liner and top kit and vented it through the regular chimney. You'll have to build an extended hearth to accommodate the minimum floor clearance. I built an aluminum cover for the existing hearth and took out the damper and saved it if I want to put everything back to original. The 4" kit with top, tee, 3" reducer and 3" horizontal to the stove was about $330. After making and installing the hearth it only took 3 hours to finish the complete install including the outside air which I tied into the existing one. Has worked perfectly for 4 1/2 years.

Thanks so much for the reply!
No issues venting the stove through the ZC fireplaces flue? That’s why I can’t do a wood stove in the space. Security chimneys told my my chimney wouldn’t be able to take the heat.
I guess because pellet stove throws off less heat and the liner attached to the stove is smaller so it works?

Can you please post a profile pic of your set up on the hearth? Looks like you used a prefab hearth pad?
Thanks for your time and happy holidays.

My stainless liner runs all the way to the top of the chimney inside the fireplace flue.
Is your ZC fireplace a wood burning one? If it is there will be no problem running the liner up the middle all the way to the top.
My heart pad is custom built by me out of 3/4 inch plywood with Granite tile on the top. It is structured to sit on top of the fireplace hearth and is bolted down to it so no movement is possible. I'll work on a pic later.

Ya it’s a high efficiency BIS 1.2 for wood burning
That’s great you built that congrats!
Ya would appreciate a pic when you have time.