Windhager Biowin 150 Buffer tank location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

phofecker

Mar 20, 2018
Hollsopple PA
Hello,
I am installing a Windhager Biowin 150 in my detached garage and piping the heated water to the house. I am not sure where to install the thermal storage tank. At first I was going to install the thermal storage tank in the basement of the house but now I was thinking it should be installed in a closer proximity to the boiler. The thought of placing it comes from reading the instructions of the pump unit I purchased with the boiler. Following is the link to the pump manual.

http://ecoangus.co.uk/ecoangus_images/Laddomat/LM21-100_Manual_E.pdf

If you have any suggestions let me know.

Thanks,
Paul

I would check with where you purchased the boiler and pump from. It looks like it should be close to the boiler according to the literature. Every install is different though.

With the Windhager being a modulating boiler, do you need storage? A very knowledgeable gentleman told me years ago that with modulating boilers, you are best to leave the energy in the pellets versus heated water storage because of thermal losses. I was sceptical and had installed a small storage on my PB105 and eventually ended up taking it back out because the boiler was less efficient with it than without. Should have listened to him and saved myself some time and money. Good thing that it was a cheap lesson learned.