Windhager BioWin XL 600... Start up questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trehugr

Dec 16, 2007
Greenwood, Maine
Is anyone familiar with the start up procedure for this boiler? I'm ready to run, and when i turn the boiler on all i get is "Stand By" Im afraid to go to manual mode as i cannot be sure the pump will run. And no the dealer will not return any of my calls or text messages.

do you have a heat call/load?

Karl, this is what is confusing. The EKO 40 wood boiler was heating 500 gallon storage in the basement. It did not require anything other than water temp to determine when to shut down. The Windhager instructions do not explain where the heat call/load should come from or how it gets to the boiler. The boiler is in an insulated shed and the 500 gallon storage is in the house.

There are other issues I am up against. Most disheartening is the fact that this thing needs to be commissioned before I can run it. This was not once explained to me. Now the earliest date is 1-19-2020

Where/from whom did you buy it? Who is required to commission it?

The heat call is usually from an aquastat on a buffer tank of this size. If the buffer tank is below the required temp, it calls for heat from the automatic boiler. the boiler will run and modulate to keep its output temperature within the range specified by it's programming until the heat call (or aquastat in the case of your really large buffer tank) is satisfied.
with your EKO and a buffer, the startup control is your grey matter, and the shut down control is the wood running out or boiler hitting its shut down temp.

This is a sophisticated piece of equipment designed for installation by a professional, not a homeowner.

Where/from whom did you buy it? Who is required to commission it?

The heat call is usually from an aquastat on a buffer tank of this size. If the buffer tank is below the required temp, it calls for heat from the automatic boiler. the boiler will run and modulate to keep its output temperature within the range specified by it's programming until the heat call (or aquastat in the case of your really large buffer tank) is satisfied.
with your EKO and a buffer, the startup control is your grey matter, and the shut down control is the wood running out or boiler hitting its shut down temp.

This is a sophisticated piece of equipment designed for installation by a professional, not a homeowner.

Who did you purchase it from and who installed it? Commissioning is necessary to set all of parameters and functions. You might try Brent 207-370-5577. He is in Maine and has been trained on the Windhagers.
Good luck,
Trout