Winds In Buffalo NY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Winds are picking up here now. Supposed to get worse tomorrow. Didn't know about this.

Yesterday I was driving from Philadelphia to Albany. The weather wasn't bad, but there were flashing signs warning 18 wheelers not to go above exit 31. I thought they were referring to I87, but maybe they were talking about I90 as the NY turnpike makes a turn at Albany and switches to I90 from I87.

It was pretty windy last night.

Winds are picking up here now. Supposed to get worse tomorrow. Didn't know about this.
I was watching the weather channel this morning, they said we could have another wind/snow event for the east coast next weekend.

We did lose power this morning around 10:40 a.m. which gave me a chance to run the genny. We haven't had a fire since yesterday afternoon so depending on when the winds stop will determine whether we go with the furnace or a fire tonight.

Wind is howling here in southern Maine, gusts to 50 this afternoon and evening. Didn't have any draft issues starting the fire today when I got home from work.

I drove a bit toward buffalo on the turnpike today. While passing an 18 wheeler, it jumped about 2 feet to the right. Luckily I was passing on the left. Scared the chit out of me though.

Wind is howling here in southern Maine, gusts to 50 this afternoon and evening. Didn't have any draft issues starting the fire today when I got home from work.
I'm near Cutler and we are getting gusts around 50 as well.

We had similar wind here in WI. We didn't lose power. After an extended outage last year, I bit the bullet and bought a generator that can run all the essentials (well pump, freezers, fridge). Wired up a transfer switch and the whole 9 yards. I figure that because I did that, we probably won't lose power for years now.

My garbage can is frozen in place after Sunday's rain. Hopefully I can break it free without tearing out the bottom.

My partner at work got a frantic call from his wife yesterday that his recycling can blew over.

He asked if the contents were all over the place.

No, I can't see any, it all must have blown down the road.

He paused, then suggested the garbage men might have picked up the recycling already.

*crickets* lol

She's an awesome lady currently home with 2 sick kids. I think the older one is 3. I think they've got her frazzled.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Nice wind speed visuals here:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=37.6;-94.7;3&l=wind-10m

171 mph on the top of Mount Washington a couple of days ago...

My wife and I got lucky over the summer and got a clear day at the summit. That place is wild. They have to chain stuff down at the top. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere the highest wind speeds ever recorded happened at the summit of Mt Washington. We were staying in Gorham on the way to Downeast Maine to look at houses. I didn't want to leave! I'm glad my wife talked some sense into me, Downeast Maine is hard enough, much less those mountains!

We had some really high winds last night. For the first time all winter our stove struggled to keep it 70. My wife is now on board with a wood cook stove though!

I think the record was over 230 mph. I have been near the summit of Mount Madison in 90 mph winds that were gusting over 100. During the gusts I was hanging on to rocks and getting light in my boots. We turned around just short of the summit and headed out since tenting, even below tree line was going to be a problem.

The wind howls through that saddle...

DSC01132.JPGDSC01144.JPG

We just barely have enough snow here where I live to allow me to snowmobile . . .

But in The County and across the border in Quebec and New Brunswick they have more than their fair share of snow . . . you would think they would share a bit of that snow with us here in mid-Maine.

Attachments

• CountySnow1.jpg
    CountySnow1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Countysnow2.jpg
    Countysnow2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 279
  • countysnow7.jpg
    countysnow7.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 276
  • countysnow6.jpg
    countysnow6.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 269
  • countysnow5.jpg
    countysnow5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 285
  • countysnow4.jpg
    countysnow4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 281
  • countysnow3.jpg
    countysnow3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 275
  • countysnow8.jpg
    countysnow8.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 249
  • countysnow9.jpg
    countysnow9.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 279
  • countysnow10.jpg
    countysnow10.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: thewoodlands
We just barely have enough snow here where I live to allow me to snowmobile . . .

But in The County and across the border in Quebec and New Brunswick they have more than their fair share of snow . . . you would think they would share a bit of that snow with us here in mid-Maine.

I've been hearing sleds the last few weeks out this way, even saw a few at a gas station. Is riding a snowmobile even more fun than a jet ski? Seems even more popular than ATVs here.

It is in really deep snow, lol.

Well, jet skis aren't much fun in little bits of snow either.

I've been hearing sleds the last few weeks out this way, even saw a few at a gas station. Is riding a snowmobile even more fun than a jet ski? Seems even more popular than ATVs here.
What we have for snow feels like cement but the sledmobiles :oops: will be out starting tomorrow and the weekend.

Not sure . . . never rode a Jet Ski. I always figured riding the snowmobile was the closest thing I would get to riding a speeder bike on the forest moon of Endor though.

I enjoy ATVing as well . . . it's a very different experience: no need to bundle up, slower speeds, not as many interconnected trails, more ATV Access Roads, cheaper, etc.

Not sure . . . never rode a Jet Ski. I always figured riding the snowmobile was the closest thing I would get to riding a speeder bike on the forest moon of Endor though.

I enjoy ATVing as well . . . it's a very different experience: no need to bundle up, slower speeds, not as many interconnected trails, more ATV Access Roads, cheaper, etc.

Sounds like a jet ski is a lot like a sled. I find sled engines to be fascinating, and they are a lot like jet ski engines. Tons more power than I ever thought they would have. Most sled and ski engines put the majority of motorcycles to shame, and I love motorcycles. I didn't know sled trails were different, but I haven't gotten into off roading stuff around here yet. If you want to ride an ATV in the south it's mostly done on private land, not a lot of state maintained trails. I used to frequent a few ATV parks that were privately owned and then hit the Uwharrie national forest, but those trails are shared with Jeeps and stuff like that, which I also like. I'd like to get a Honda Pioneer or a Ural Gear Up and ride the sunrise trail, but that will have to wait until the house is fixed I think.