Winslow / Country / Iron strike P140 tempermental operation and shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anesthes

Feb 1, 2019
Salem, NH
This thing is driving me crazy. Bought it used to replace a wood insert. Installed it this past weekend. Initially worked fine.

Then I randomly get an fault and it shuts down due to POF sensor. So I remove it, clean it, and put it back in.

Ran for a bit, then shuts down again. This time VAC switch. I remove the hose, check the switch with a vac gauge (it closes), clean out the orfice, vacuum out the combustion tubes, check the wiring, and fire it back up.

Runs for a few hours.

Next day I go to start it. Ignites, runs for about 10 minutes then the auger stops feeding. Goes into error state. This time a solid red light which means ignition failure, out of pellets, or auger tube empty.

Stove does get up to about 200 degrees with the IR gun, exhaust temp around the POF sensor in the 180s or higher depending on where you probe it.

Clean again, start it back up, same thing. Did this 4 times.

My first question is, how the hell does it know there is an ignition failure? I'd expect if the POF is failing again it would give THAT error code. How the heck does it determine ignition failure ?

Should I assume that the POF switch could either give an ignition failure OR POF failure code ? Or is there some other sensor that determines ignition failure?

I just don't see why it would have two distinct error conditions for "no fire" unless it had two input sensors.

-- Joe