Wires and thermostats

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caralck

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
My original post got buried so here's my new questions

So we have our dealer coming out this friday to move the room sensing probe off the stove...if it's actually attached. I say that because I realized that there's a 6 ft black wire with 2 connectors on one end and the red and black wires poking out of the other end of the insulated wire in the bag with the stove manual. Um...is this the room sensing probe NOT attached?!? Or is this just the bonus wire for attaching the thermostat? I'm thinking it's just the thermostat wire since I see no probe looking thing attached to it. (Is it obvious yet that I'm not an engineer or an electrician? Ha ha!). My husband and I initially thought it was just an extra wire...like how some products have extras just in case you lose a piece. We didn't stand guard over the installers so didn't think to ask or know to ask to keep the room sensing probe off the actual stove or "hey, why is there an extra wire?" We were too excited over our new "toy."

So to avoid having them come out again when we're ready to run the wires for a thermostat clear across the room through the crawlspace with the help of an electrician, would it make the stove nonfunctional to have both the room sensing probe AND the thermostat wire attached without it being attached to an actual t-stat? I suppose the electrician could figure out how to attach the T-stat wire but I don't assume anything.

How far away from the stove do you want the thermostat (room temp sensing device)?
It would be cheaper to have a remote thermostat installed than having an electrician run wire. The installer should be able to do this in less than 1/2 hour.

it's your stoves room sensing probe and it doesn't appear to be hooked up. If your Harman is like my Harman, when I looked at the Accentra I think it was exactly the same, the room sensing probe is a thermocouple ( thermostat ), you set it in room temp mode on your stoves dial to whatever temp. you desire. I added ~ 10-15 feet to the factory supplied wire and moved it further away from the stove for less blower cycling and more consistant heat.

I didn't realize that the model you have can't have a thermostat installed. You are stuck with that temp sensor probe they give you along with having to run wires.

You can use a thermostat with them, But you need to keep the probe in the circuit as well. There is a bulletin out about it and lists the exceptable stats you can use.

I emailed Harman and they sent me the pdf file with the instructions for using a thermostat with it. As far as I know, a wireless stat is not possible with this model. I'd have to measure how far the wire would travel but it's longer than the supplied wire. So then do you think the "extra" wire is the actual temp probe? Like I said, it doesn't have any cap or anything on it that looks probe-like.

Oh and for harman owners who have added the t-stat, are those really the only 2 honeywell models that can be used? Hoping there was a 7-day one but the 2 suggested only have 2 programs - one for weekdays and the other for weekends. And has anyone combined the t-stat for their gas/heatpump heat with the stove? Doesn't look like it's possible but just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.