Wiring a Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burns

Dec 13, 2008
Long Island, NY
I would like to hook a thermostat up to my St. Croix Hastings but I have no idea what gauge wire I need to do so. Any suggestions? Also, all the thermostats I can find are 24v. Will these work with the Hastings? Anyone have any good testimonials on thermostats used with this particaular stove?

Thanks in advance!

burnsy said:
I would like to hook a thermostat up to my St. Croix Hastings but I have no idea what gauge wire I need to do so. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
thermostat wire

kimeric is correct, and brevity is a virtue.

Thermostat wire is available for purchase, by the foot, at The Home Depot or other liike stores.

Choices are usually 2 wire or three wire and usually only two different wire gauges offered. ( As you know, pellet stoves use a low voltage thermostat.)

Best to check the owner's manual and/or web site for your stove to see what, if any, recommendations they make and to see if the total recommended wire length is stated.

Am running a Lopi Leyden with the inexpensive thermostat that Travis Industries provides, wire run of about 32 feet, wire fished through the walls for neatness, and it works excellent. May change to a programmable sometime.

Hopefully someone with your exact stove will suggest thermostat brands.

I have an afton bay st croix and i use a rite temp programmable, cost is ~ 30 bucks at the hommey. It will work just fine. 2 wires hook to the back of the stove then to thermostat. Be sure you hook the wires up properly. Rite temp has a web site that is most helpfull.

www.ritetemp-thermostats.com

Since your only using this for heating, if there's a jumper wire between RH and RC, it's not needed.....remove it completely.

I asked a similar question and today I added a thermostat. I bought a Honeywell "round" thermostat. I used the two terminals Red and White that just complete the circuit when heat is called for. I did something else as well. Seeing as I only want one thermostat in the room and I have a choice of heaters (Oil furnace and pellet stove), I installed a switch under the thermostat that will allow me to choose between the two. Seeing as I won't be using both at the same time, it should work out well.
I bought the wire at Home Depot. They didn't have "thermostat wire" (red and white) but they had solid core bell wire which works just as well.

Chandler

Status
Not open for further replies.