wiring a wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Can I use romex or do I have to use bx wire to the boiler, (TarmSolo40)

I believe it is a code issue. My understanding is anything within the area that could get wet if a pipe burst has to be rx. Also, anything that connects directly to a boiler, pump, relay, etc. My whole setup is in rx.

If you haven't purchased it yet- get MC (metal clad) it is eaier to work with than bx & has a ground wire installed so you will not be relying on the metal jacket for your grounding. I've seen it on the shelf at HD next to BX. Then make sure you get MC connectors- slightly different than bx connectors. I've seen alot of installations where rx, or sj was used to connect boilers, well pressure switches, furnaces etc. this is not allowed.
I always say do it right, with a permit. don't give an insurance company a reason to deny a claim, if your are ever that unfortunate.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.