wood add on furnace chimney & "other" appliances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tractorboy924

Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
#1 I need it spelled out for my brain unfortunately but..why can you vent "other" items in the same chimney again? back drafting into the second appliance??

I have a propane HW tank now currently using a chimney ( masonry) that is 11" x6" tiled that was Meant for a furnace from Previous Owner. I want to install a add in wood furnace to the basement and I want to use that chimney. So my thought is getting an direct vent HW tank and relocating but MAN they are expensive. here are the specs I have.

4" flue from HW tank and 8" flue from Wood Furnace. Chimney currently 11 x6.
Can I install the wood furnace to the chimney and then with the HW have the flue go into the chimney but then into 4" piping and running it up the INSIDE of the chimney? This way I cant get any backdraft or enter mixing of the two "systems"
Go ahead...tell me how moronic this probably is! I can take it...or is it a decent idea??

The REAL furnace is a direct vent and is not part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.