Wood boiler recommendation for heating shop and farmhouse?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vtheavytimber

Apr 6, 2024
Vermont
Hello,
I have a shop that is 2800 sf, with 14' ceilings and is pretty well insulated. I plan to enlarge the shop to 3325 sf, as well as add a single story office of about 500 sf. I also have a 1750 sf old, poorly insulated farmhouse that I'd like to heat. The shop will have a radiant floor, and the farmhouse would be heated with radiators. I'm in Vt, so any boiler needs to be EPA rated to step 2 certification, I believe. I'd love to get a Switzer boiler, but I don't think that they have the rating. As a timber framing shop with a sawmill, we have all the wood we could ever need. I think we'll solely be using the boiler for heat, as I don't want to have to fire it in the summer for domestic hot water. I would love if you could give me any recommendations for boilers, or things that I should be thunking about. Thank you!!

Vermont does not like Outdoor wood boilers. Here is link to review https://dec.vermont.gov/air-quality/compliance/owb/vt-certified-outdoor-wood-boilers

Ideally you want a combination of large thermal storage tank and an indoor wood boiler. The problem is heat demand varies while a boiler is most efficient when running steady state. If there is no storage and the heat demand drops, the boiler has to "slow" down. It not very practical to reach in and take wood out so the only way to reduce load is reduce the amount of combustion air introduced. This can very rapidly change a clean burning boiler into a dirty one.

This free course may be of interest https://www.heatspring.com/courses/hydronics-for-high-efficiency-biomass-boilers

Thank you! I certainly don't want a smoky outdoor wood boiler, I'm not a fan and my neighbors would quickly come to hate me. As I read the regulations, I'd need to get a boiler that is EPA certified to "step 2", as shown here: https://dec.vermont.gov/air-quality/compliance/owb/new-wood-heater-boiler-regulations. Gary Switzer has recommended I have 1400+ gallons of storage, and I believe that I'd be able to use the radiant floor in the shop as a form of "storage".

Plan on storage tanks.
The floor will not be usable for storage. Any heat loss from storage will heat your shop or house depending where you place it.
I used propane tanks for my system.
Make sure you research underground lines before you buy any, as bad ones will rob you of BTU's
You will want to insulate under your slab if it isn't poured already

Yes, if you want to do the system right, you will need storage and like @salecker said, don’t plan on floor pipes as storage. Sounds like you’ve talked to Gary, he makes a great boiler and it would suit you to the T, but you’re right, it isn’t EPA certified. Some of the Polar models are EPA certified and they are good boilers, I believe. I don’t know if they are Phase 2 certified or not.

Yes, if you want to do the system right, you will need storage and like @salecker said, don’t plan on floor pipes as storage. Sounds like you’ve talked to Gary, he makes a great boiler and it would suit you to the T, but you’re right, it isn’t EPA certified. Some of the Polar models are EPA certified and they are good boilers, I believe. I don’t know if they are Phase 2 certified or not.
Thanks. The other boiler I'm looking at is the Froling S3 turbo 50. I need a cordwood boiler as we make plenty of wood "waste" that will work very well for a boiler.

Thank you! I certainly don't want a smoky outdoor wood boiler, I'm not a fan and my neighbors would quickly come to hate me. As I read the regulations, I'd need to get a boiler that is EPA certified to "step 2", as shown here: https://dec.vermont.gov/air-quality/compliance/owb/new-wood-heater-boiler-regulations. Gary Switzer has recommended I have 1400+ gallons of storage, and I believe that I'd be able to use the radiant floor in the shop as a form of "storage".
Look at HeatMaster G series...EPA certified, basically smokeless...and no extra storage needed. You would probably be fine with a G4000 in my opinion, the G7000 would work, but they like to be run hard, so I'd lean toward the smaller one...dad put in a G10000 and its overkill for 2 farmhouses and 2 shops, one of them pretty large...a G7000 would have done the job 99% of the time, and they have backup heat, so...

You may want to see where @ Take no prisoners thread goes first...
Although almost all brands of boilers have a leak thread on Hearth

yES THE
Yes, if you want to do the system right, you will need storage and like @salecker said, don’t plan on floor pipes as storage. Sounds like you’ve talked to Gary, he makes a great boiler and it would suit you to the T, but you’re right, it isn’t EPA certified. Some of the Polar models are EPA certified and they are good boilers, I believe. I don’t know if they are Phase 2 certified or not?

Yes, the polars are Phase 2 compliant, and are built like tanks, I have been running mine now for I a bit over two years and love it, have had a couple gaskets leak air but no other issues, load it and forget it! I am running a G2+ with 1500 gallons of insulated storage

Reactions: all night moe
Someone has a complete system for sale on craigslist in Ogunquit Maine, A Tarm Solo 40,a 1000 gallon stainless storage tank and three heat exchangers. 15K

I have been very happy with my Froling S3 Turbo 30 with 820 gallons of storage for my farmhouse. I would definitely recommend the older cast iron radiators or modern fan driven convectors for heating the addition you mention. Both work better at lower water temps which will get you more out of your storage. The in floor will do fine. The folks at TARM were great help for my DIY install