Wood Burning Furnace Feedback?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Incendiary-1

Oct 30, 2022
SE Wisconsin
Looking to supplement my propane furnace with a forced air wood burning furnace for a 2,200' home. Furnace would be located in the basement and attach to the existing ductwork.
Looked into Drolet Heat Commander, unfortunately earliest delivery in Febuary, a little too late. Checked into HY-C offerings and found both Fire Chief FC-1000E and Shelter SF-1000E are still available. Can anyone offer feedback on if the quality differs between these of these 2-furnaces or if another make of furnace is more desirable?

Thanks

Have you looked at Kuuma? Those who have them seem to really like them. It is unclear from your post if you are tying this into the same ductwork as your propane furnace, that could make a difference on recommendations.

From what I hear fire chief and shelter are trash, I’ve heard good things about the heat commander, I’m into my second year with the kuuma vapor fire from lammpa manufacturing and I love it, a lot guys here on the forum are burning the VF.

Reactions: woodey and sloeffle
Checked into HY-C offerings and found both Fire Chief FC-1000E and Shelter SF-1000E are still available. Can anyone offer feedback on if the quality differs between these of these 2-furnaces or if another make of furnace is more desirable?
Don't do it...lots of regret to be had here! Use the search function here to find all the unhappy FC /SF 1000E owners.
The Heat Commander is fine...but top dog is for sure the made in the USA Kuuma VF100! https://www.lamppakuuma.com/vapor-fire-100/

Last edited:
From what I hear fire chief and shelter are trash, I’ve heard good things about the heat commander, I’m into my second year with the kuuma vapor fire from lammpa manufacturing and I love it, a lot guys here on the forum are burning the VF.
Hi! I just joined and read your previous posts. I am a Maryland resident as well and was hoping to chat more with someone local who has the VF100. Can you please send me a direct message so we can chat further?

Throw out shelter and fire chief. They are not even in the same conversation as the others. You have three options, in order of cheapest to most expensive:

1) Drolet Heat Commander
2) PSG Caddy Advanced and Advanced CR
3) Kuuma VF100

All solid options. All available except the Advanced CR which is a combination furnace.

Very happy with my PSG Caddy, its a great furnace. It is a 2016 model, not the advanced.