Wood burning insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Valkouts

Sep 27, 2020
CT
Hi. I was wondering if some has any input for the sealant below. It was used by the installer to seal the connector and liner above the insert. I am highly concerned that is not correct for the application. Any input will be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has used it.

B1C25DDD-CCD7-46BB-87EF-6CFA6F407BC4.png

Hi. I was wondering if some has any input for the sealant below. It was used by the installer to seal the connector and liner above the insert. I am highly concerned that is not correct for the application. Any input will be greatly appreciated, especially if someone has used it.

View attachment 268290
It will not stand up to the temps it will be exposed to there

What are the potential issues if that stuff burns off?
Smoke and fumes, possibly for a while. There usually is no need for sealant on a properly installed liner and liner adapter.

Reactions: shortys7777
What are the potential issues if that stuff burns off?

You may not even smell it, especially since that installer probably also didn't know what a blockoff plate is (the fumes will go up the liner on one side and up the chimney on the other).

If sealant was used because there was a gap, the likely outcome is a small leak there, which would pull in cold air and lower your stove's draft and lower your flue temps... in this case you could improve performance by pulling it and sealing it with gasket cement (and install a blockoff plate while you're in there, this will help more than plugging a tiny flue gap).

If it was used for some other reason, shouldn't be any consequences as those joints should be good without sealant.

My insert install doesn't have/need any sealant there .

Reactions: begreen
You may not even smell it, especially since that installer probably also didn't know what a blockoff plate is (the fumes will go up the liner on one side and up the chimney on the other).

If sealant was used because there was a gap, the likely outcome is a small leak there, which would pull in cold air and lower your stove's draft and lower your flue temps... in this case you could improve performance by pulling it and sealing it with gasket cement (and install a blockoff plate while you're in there, this will help more than plugging a tiny flue gap).

If it was used for some other reason, shouldn't be any consequences as those joints should be good without sealant.

My insert install doesn't have/need any sealant there .

You are right. Apparently none of the dealers in CT knows what a block off plate is. I made and installed my own. I put mineral wool on top of it and around the hole where the liner goes through. I used high temp sealant to seal it and they went and used that crap. I am kicking myself I didn’t do the installation. And on top of everything they told me not to fire it up for three days so the sealant can dry.

Attachments

• 562D4D73-190E-42A8-954B-85DE204BA33E.jpeg
    562D4D73-190E-42A8-954B-85DE204BA33E.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: jetsam
I wouldn't worry about babying the sealant. That stuff is rated for 450° continuous, so the first hot fire is gonna melt it whether or not it's cured.

If you installed a blockoff plate already, that would remove 99% of my motivation to pull the insert and check the joint. Is looking for gaps worth the risk of creating gaps by pulling the insert?

I'd run an inspection camera up the stove and then down the flue, and see how those joints look from the inside. I got a 35' wifi boroscope for $30-$40 off Amazon a year or two ago, and it has really improved my flue inspections.

I wouldn't worry about babying the sealant. That stuff is rated for 450° continuous, so the first hot fire is gonna melt it whether or not it's cured.

If you installed a blockoff plate already, that would remove 99% of my motivation to pull the insert and check the joint. Is looking for gaps worth the risk of creating gaps by pulling the insert?

I'd run an inspection camera up the stove and then down the flue, and see how those joints look from the inside. I got a 35' wifi boroscope for $30-$40 off Amazon a year or two ago, and it has really improved my flue inspections.
Can you send me a link to this scope? Thanks

Can you send me a link to this scope? Thanks

Mmm this is a similar one from the same company that made mine, 33' for $38. (Could even be the same one.)

The cheap ones don't have a screen so you need a smartphone with wifi- which is actually pretty convenient because you're not trying to rassle the camera and look at the screen at the same time.

Amazon product ASIN B0785H3XR7

Reactions: moresnow