Wood burning insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nolensb

Dec 6, 2023
I bought a wood insert, Osburn 2000 Inspire, thinking my fireplace was a masonry fireplace with a metal insert. I was wrong and it is a prefab. I have removed most of the prefab. All except the metal backing and and metal around the flue and damper.

The chimney is a 10in pipe. I had planned on lining it with a 6in before I realized it wasn't a masonry firebox. I have tried calling multiple fireplace services, but none are giving call backs.
To support it I can build out the underneath with metal supports with fire block covering that. I can insulate behind the insert, but I am not sure if that along with the metal coverings that are in place are enough to protect the stud wall behind it. Any ideas to make it safe to use or should I try selling it and come up with another solution?

I bought a wood insert, Osburn 2000 Inspire, thinking my fireplace was a masonry fireplace with a metal insert. I was wrong and it is a prefab. I have removed most of the prefab. All except the metal backing and and metal around the flue and damper.

The chimney is a 10in pipe. I had planned on lining it with a 6in before I realized it wasn't a masonry firebox. I have tried calling multiple fireplace services, but none are giving call backs.
To support it I can build out the underneath with metal supports with fire block covering that. I can insulate behind the insert, but I am not sure if that along with the metal coverings that are in place are enough to protect the stud wall behind it. Any ideas to make it safe to use or should I try selling it and come up with another solution?
You absolutely cannot install an insert in a fireplace after removing most of that fireplace

IMHO, sell and install a free standing woodstove in front of it. It is time to deal with professionals and experts.

Remove the rest of the insert and open up the area so its a alcove then get a small stand alone stove with new chimney. But your going to have to watch clearances.

Thank you for the replies. Still trying to find a company to come out and assess what they can do. Also looking for a new zero-clearance fireplace with a blower that fits the dimensions of the opening. That is easier said than done.