Wood Gasification Boiler Installer NH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NE603Woodsman

Dec 12, 2023
Hello Hearth.com community. First time posting. Replacing a Tarm Solo Plus 40 wood gasification boiler bought new 16 years ago with an Autonom with a 119 buffer/ storage water tank. This was and will be parallelled with a Buderus propane forced hot water system. Looking for a qualified conscientious installer here in southern New Hampshire to install. Hoping to get installed before Christmas to "gift" a long overdue replacement wood boiler to keep my two kids and I warm this coming winter with firewood. Thanks in advance for the help.

Autonom Robust-1 18.jpg Boiler Room AUTONOM.jpg

Hello Hearth.com community. First time posting. Replacing a Tarm Solo Plus 40 wood gasification boiler bought new 16 years ago with an Autonom with a 119 buffer/ storage water tank. This was and will be parallelled with a Buderus propane forced hot water system. Looking for a qualified conscientious installer (Plumber) here in southern New Hampshire to install. Hoping to get installed before Christmas to "gift" a long overdue replacement wood boiler to keep my two kids and I warm this coming winter with firewood. Thanks in advance for the help.

View attachment 320623 View attachment 320624

Out of curiosity why are you switching out the Tarm?.

Good luck on finding someone who will do an install, they are rare and this is the busy time of the year when folks who did not maintain their heating systems earlier in the season are breaking down.

Hi Peakbagger! Thanks for the comment. I happen to be a peak bagger myself. 100 Highest in New England...
The Tarm sprung a leak in the firebox/water jacket that was unable to repair or replace. No more Tarms to purchase new. The alternative offered at Tarm Biomass is Froling which may be great, however it does not offer 120 volt option and requires significantly more water storage I don't have room for. Also like the site glass of the Autonom which is similar to Tarm.

Will hope for the rare individual who happens to be willing and available. Perhaps a night and weekends person as I used to be with electrical work. Would also consider bartering electric power installation skills for forced hot water skills.

Thanks I have lightly used Solo 60 in the garage for when my Burnham dinosaur dies but starting to think that design had some issues with firebox corrosion. Usually the rear wall down low.

BTW, I stopped keeping track of my summits after winter 48 but keep a casual list of the NH 100 highest remaining. Hard to get motivated to go grab Savage and Goback ;)

You nailed it on the rear wall down low firebox corrosion. Exactly where the Tarm failed.

Very interesting. I stopped around 60 right before I got married to my late wife Brenda over 17 years ago! Still hope to complete.

Not many folks around here that appreciate the benefits of burning firewood. Not just money savings. Alot to do with staying healthy & warm and NOT being a heat miser with the thermostat...

You nailed it on the rear wall down low firebox corrosion. Exactly where the Tarm failed.

Very interesting. I stopped around 60 right before I got married to my late wife Brenda over 17 years ago! Still hope to complete.

Not many folks around here that appreciate the benefits of burning firewood. Not just money savings. Alot to do with staying healthy & warm and NOT being a heat miser with the thermostat...
Hello Hearth.com community. First time posting. Replacing a Tarm Solo Plus 40 wood gasification boiler bought new 16 years ago with an Autonom with a 119 buffer/ storage water tank. This was and will be parallelled with a Buderus propane forced hot water system. Looking for a qualified conscientious installer here in southern New Hampshire to install. Hoping to get installed before Christmas to "gift" a long overdue replacement wood boiler to keep my two kids and I warm this coming winter with firewood. Thanks in advance for the help.

View attachment 320623 View attachment 320624
I am sure there many ideas on the install of how to install a wood fired boiler with an auxiliary boiler. You need plenty of room to start with. I replumbed my two boilers back in 2018. i did not have the room so I squeezed a lot of stuff in a little. space. A big man will have a big problem replacing a pump or any other work that might come up. To get ideas of how you would want it installed Look at a Caleffi Idronics journal volume 10 page 28 and 29. This entire journal is pretty much wood and conventional heating. The journals are on the internet or you can call Caleffi and see if they have any available.
When I re plumbed mine I spent around $5,000.00. A $1,000.00 of that was something I could have done my self but could not figure it out until I made an off set nipple when I changed out a circulating pump from a Wilo to a Grundfos. They measured different from flange to flange. It was easier to make the off set nipple than change an awful lot of piping. I put temperature gages on the return lines of all zones so I could so I could regulate flow so there was a temperature difference of 20 degrees from supply and return. I also put temperature sensors in the supply and return lines for the entire system. The read out of those sensors was in the living quarters so I could tell what the system was doing without going downstairs to the boiler room. If I lost 10 degrees on the supply side it was time to add a little wood. If the temperature was a 20 degree difference leave the fire alone unless the supply was below 180 degrees. I try to keep the water at 180 degrees in the morning after a temperature drop over night. Occasionally the water will hit 190, then a different zone will open up to lower water temperature. Once the house is up to 70 degrees I will try to run 160 degrees or cooler to maintain room temperature. The circulating pumps and the Samson firing controller doesn't like water above 200 degrees. I have had to replace the spring in the Samson firing control several times in the past because of too high of a temperature. The electrical controls most likely have a temperature high limit also. I have a lot of temperature gauges through out the system so I know what the system is doing. The pictures show some of the gauges and the crowded system and the off set nipple. That nipple was Tig welded so no impurities would get in the system. I did not have the room. Systems and equipment are different in different parts of this country. One reason is because of dealer inventory the other is owner wants or owner space availability.

off set nipple.jpg 100_1922.JPG