Wood gun smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
Hi I am considering a wood gun e140 for our house. I have currently a eko 40 that I ran in our last house. In that house I had it in the garage and piped into the house with pen. That was fine but know it made a mess with light ash and smoke roll out acceptable since it was in the garage.
In our new house I would need to install it in a finished basement and know the smoke roll out would be unacceptable. I am thinking that since the wood gun upper firebox or gasification chamber is negative pressure the smoke from roll out during loading or a leaking gasket under normal operation would be negligible. Down stream sealing all joints well should keep the ash down. I would like to know from those operating these boilers what their experience has been?
Thanks!

Hi I am considering a wood gun e140 for our house. I have currently a eko 40 that I ran in our last house. In that house I had it in the garage and piped into the house with pen. That was fine but know it made a mess with light ash and smoke roll out acceptable since it was in the garage.
In our new house I would need to install it in a finished basement and know the smoke roll out would be unacceptable. I am thinking that since the wood gun upper firebox or gasification chamber is negative pressure the smoke from roll out during loading or a leaking gasket under normal operation would be negligible. Down stream sealing all joints well should keep the ash down. I would like to know from those operating these boilers what their experience has been?
Thanks!

I don't have a wood gun but with my Attack with the draft inducer motor located on the back of the boiler right before the chimney connection the smoke rollout is less than the EKO setup (fan in the front). Usually the only time I get smoke roll out is when the bypass plate sticks closed due to it being located in the dirty upper firebox. It's also possible to get some if you have some unburnt wood near the front next to the loading door - I usually try to time it so I know the previous load is down to all coals if possible. I did have a few instances of smoke coming from connector pipe joints between the boiler flue outlet and the class A piping due to the draft inducer causing positive pressure there. Sealing those joints eliminated it. My experience with wood burning is there will be the occasional smoke smell if the appliance is located in the living space - happens with my Progress Hybrid stove, Drolet Tundra wood furnace and my Attack. The main difference is my Attack boiler is in an outbuilding.

I have no direct experience with a WG. But a smoke hood is/was a factory option. And from reading on here I think I remember, there was a reason for that.

I have the e100 and there is no way I would have that in my house. Even with the hood still will have ashes to deal with. no matter how careful you are they end up everywhere.

A smoke hood is essential if installing in living space. I tried w/o the hood for a few years and wish I had one from day 1. My unit is old though and I understand they have made some improvements to the firebox but I still would get the hood.