Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
Had a few logs in my last log delivery that I couldn't ID. I will make two threads with the wood I'm trying to identify. This first mystery wood has super smooth bark with red just underneath the bark. Splits are very heavy. Some splits were greenish or black in the middle. Here are the photos, there were 3 logs total in my load that had this smooth bark:

20200130_151723.jpg20200130_151737.jpg20200130_151748.jpg20200130_151815.jpg20200130_151831_HDR.jpg20200130_151840.jpg

That does not look familiar at all. I'm curious about the right answer.

Yeah this one stumped me pretty good. I think some type of maple makes sense, looking at images of maple logs online I found several images where some maple logs appeared to have the smooth bark with the red underneath it. This stuff also split like a dream, all I had to do was glare at it and it popped apart ;lol

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Not sugar maple but looks like its the maple family looking at the wood.

I'd be happy with the maple! I can confirm tulip poplar really doesn't grow here per the WI DNR and it certainly isn't a well known yard tree here in the Madison area. But maples, I see them all over the place. Seeing as how my wood comes from local tree services, and is probably people's yard trees, maple is a solid guess.