Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
We always just called this thorn, but now I'm wondering if it is honey locust.

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: Lakeside
Yeah, that's Honey Locust...

On your felling pics, did you cut through your hinge or did the hinge pop when wedging it?

Yeah that's some real nice honey locust, get it split ASAP.....it takes time to season properly, I'm going to burn mine next year, it will be at 3 years by then......

Yeah that's some real nice honey locust, get it split ASAP.....it takes time to season properly, I'm going to burn mine next year, it will be at 3 years by then......

I got the top half of the tree c/s/s today. I'm going to have to go back latter to finish up the trunk. I'm not sure how good it will be, it was hollow and filled with old bee honeycomb. My parents neighbor has bee hives, so most of the hollow trees around them get filled when the bees swarm in the summer.

You have some great wood out of that one. It will probably " bee" fine. That locust really never gets punky.

I think Thorn would be a better name for the tree than Honey Locust.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Status
Not open for further replies.