Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

diesel59

Oct 19, 2015
Kentucky
Is there anything that would distinguish white oak from pin oak? I thought this was pin oak, but now that I'm splitting it, I'm beginning to think it is white. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kyle aee96d982471f829dfd4ac8328c6fc57.jpg9f77c8095a3fdd7b73b169cbc87d6001.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Idk if that is oak at all. Maybe a clean cut on the end grain would make those medullaries pop, but i am not seeing it. Maybe ash or maple? Are you 100% its oak?

Same thoughts as BenTN. Maple? Ash? Doesn't seem like oak.

Idk if that is oak at all. Maybe a clean cut on the end grain would make those medullaries pop, but i am not seeing it. Maybe ash or maple? Are you 100% its oak?
We had two types of trees cut down at the same time, so it is possible that it is ash. I thought for sure that the almost pungent smell was that of oak. I didn't think ash had the "fleck" like this does, either. I'll try and get a fresh cut on the end grain tomorrow to see if that helps. Either way, thanks for the help!09f2ffa2b7d828f3fc36bc16674e912a.jpgba7ffe12aff25d816464b98c91623453.jpg

That doesn't look like oak to me.

Maple for sure. Not sugar or rock maple, but maybe a silver maple or another of the southern species. It looks identical to deal cords of maple I have sitting outside right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Maple for sure. Not sugar or rock maple, but maybe a silver maple or another of the southern species. It looks identical to deal cords of maple I have sitting outside right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
We only had ash and what I thought was a pin oak (acorns and oak-ish leaf) cut down and I have not added anything onto the pallet of rounds. Petty sure this is not maple.

You seem to have wood with bark on it. Pictures of that would help. If it's either ash or oak without any other option, then the bark in your first post is ash.

Ash then, maybe?

It could be Ash. I am not sure how to ID Ash from the wood alone, although I have a lot of it. The bark and the wood just below the bark are distinctive.

Not Oak, and not Ash, best guess from pics is Maple of some sort(I'd say Norway Maple)

I’m on the maple boat as well. Not sure which type though.

OP said 3 times only had oak and ash taken down so unless someone threw a maple round in his pile it's not maple......stink plus large / wide growth rings = pin oak

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: diesel59
You seem to have wood with bark on it. Pictures of that would help. If it's either ash or oak without any other option, then the bark in your first post is ash.
Here ya go. I think what I was splitting yesterday was mostly ash (picture of bark in middle of third image attached). The rounds that I have not split much on appears to be some type of oak, thought pin oak (first and second pictures attached). Let me know if you see differently. Thanks! 5c4e9bb9b5580187574aa5ac49c83d22.jpga7a2385968f9c83b126d4d63041764bb.jpge8dcd18ec50ec8685b48b78b1076d57a.jpg

Pic 1and 2 def look like oak. Pic 3 looks like an ash round, notice the diamond furl bark pattern.

Reactions: fbelec and JSeery