Wood Insert in ZC Fireplace - New Revelations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
I have found out from my fireplace's manufacturer that I have a Majestic L36B Zero Clearance Fireplace. These have not been manufactured since 1980 - our home was built in 1979.

My original plan was to install a wood burning stove insert (approved for a ZC set up) in the fireplace. However... I was told by a Majestic tech the L36B was never tested or approved for use with a wood burning stove insert.

The tech I talked to from Majestic/Monessen then told me that unless BOTH the zero clearance fireplace AND wood burning insert have both been tested and approved for applications in which a wood burning insert is placed in a ZC fireplace, an inspector will not approve of the install. Well his quote went like this - "most inspectors won't pass the setup" - his voice meaning any good inspector would fail the system.

I'm getting frustrated trying to make this work. Dealers I have spoke with tell me that there will be no problem putting a Lopi Revere or PE - Super insert in our system and would gladly take my money and install the system.

Is it high time that I should just tear out the old system and install something that I know will work? What should be done here?

Thanks!

I understand your frustration. I seem to recall from a previous thread that it basically boils down to this: no ZC fireplace manufacturer will certify their ZC fireplace as being approved to accept a wood burning insert. However, there are some wood burning insert manufacturers who certify their inserts as being approved for installation into a ZC fireplace.

I guess the bottom line is that your local Authority Having Jurisdiction will probably have the final say. I hope some of the NFI certified guys/installers/dealers will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to pass on bad info.

Edit: see this thread for more https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40663

Post a picture of the exisiting hearth and chase (interior/exterior), as well has home description and that will help with the opinions.

All I would add, that trying to shoehorn an insert into a questionable zero clearance will leave you most likely unsatisfied and feeling that you wasted your $$. I would vote for spending some extra $$, remove the zero clearance. Then you have options galore, freestanding vs insert. etc

madison said:
Post a picture of the exisiting hearth and chase (interior/exterior), as well has home description and that will help with the opinions.

I'll have some fresh pictures to post early next week.

The chase is sided, and contains a tri-walled air-cooled pipe system. Oh yes... I was up on the roof last night and took the cap completely off the pipe. Between the second and third metal walls at the top are various bird nest materials. I have no idea how the birds squeezed past the screen. Also I don't know how to remove the nests... coat hanger in the shape of a "C"?

CJRages said:
I have found out from my fireplace's manufacturer that I have a Majestic L36B Zero Clearance Fireplace. These have not been manufactured since 1980 - our home was built in 1979.

My original plan was to install a wood burning stove insert (approved for a ZC set up) in the fireplace. However... I was told by a Majestic tech the L36B was never tested or approved for use with a wood burning stove insert.

The tech I talked to from Majestic/Monessen then told me that unless BOTH the zero clearance fireplace AND wood burning insert have both been tested and approved for applications in which a wood burning insert is placed in a ZC fireplace, an inspector will not approve of the install. Well his quote went like this - "most inspectors won't pass the setup" - his voice meaning any good inspector would fail the system.

I'm getting frustrated trying to make this work. Dealers I have spoke with tell me that there will be no problem putting a Lopi Revere or PE - Super insert in our system and would gladly take my money and install the system.

Is it high time that I should just tear out the old system and install something that I know will work? What should be done here?

Thanks!

Been in your shoes. I ripped out my old prefab ZC and installed a Lennox Brentwood. I wanted to make sure I was fully up to code and there was not really enough room in my ZC anyway for a decent sized insert.

The other issue is the chimney and what do you have now.

I would check out EPA fireplaces...

Pete

Pagey said:
I guess the bottom line is that your local Authority Having Jurisdiction will probably have the final say. I hope some of the NFI certified guys/installers/dealers will jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to pass on bad info.

I just spoke with my county administrator to find out if there was any guideance available for wood stove installs. She told me that there are no zoning or building codes for county residents living outside city limits and within the county. Her quote was "you're allowed to do pretty much whatever you want"...."well you know within reason".

Is this normal?

Next step is to discuss with my insurance agent and then homeowners association before proceeding further...

I live in a very rural area (city population of 1,700 or so and a county population of 7,000, give or take). Our "city" just recently started to adopt any building and zoning codes, but I'd guarantee you they have nothing to say about wood burning appliances. The insurance company gave us a list that basically wanted to treat everything as if it were a pre-EPA stove with no manual handy (thus, do everything by NFPA 211).

We just followed the manufacturer's required CTCs and the chimney manufacturer's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.