Wood Pellet Holder??????????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPajak

Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2007
Amsterdam,NY
Anyone have any creative ideas or have seen any products that stores these pellets in the house without looking like an eyesore?

This is the only item I have seen for pellet storage in the US. I saw one of these at a hearth shop in Utica NY some time ago. You fill it with pellets, and there is a door on the bottom - spring loaded that has holes that let fines drop out. If there is someone in your home that has a bad back and can't carry 40lb bags, this is a decent solution - fill it up, and they can dispense it while you're gone. It may be a bit pricey - but when they're the only one building such an item - I guess they can name their price...

http://161.58.238.99/mivastore/merc..._Code=EPP&Product_Code=PELHOP&Category_Code=M

Attachments

• pelhop.jpg
    pelhop.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 2,906
During the peak of the country furniture craze I restored and made over 30 "grain bins" for storing firewood. My sister started the craze when I gave her an antique bin. Friends saw it and wanted one, and it snowballed. The most popular size was 3ft wide and 2ft deep. They looked like toy boxes or tool chests with slanted tops. I made them in pine and fir, but it would be made in any wood and painted. Easy weekend project if you don't hand dovetail the joints like I did. I would size it today for holding 4 bags (two days worth or so).

Can't point you where to get one, but we
use this big copper thing that my Mom
got I don't know where but it's big enough
to hold 80lbs of pellets and it has a hinged lid.
I love the thing although some may think it's
ugly. When we were kids my Dad would
keep it loaded with logs for the fireplace.
pelletbin.jpg

Zeta, that looks like another version of the copper wash boiler. It's what folks used before washing machines. Put it on a wood fire or the stove and let it cook till the water was hot.

...you may also want to do an ebay search on "coal scuttles" as they may include metal/brass/copper covered wood storage bins such as this...

Attachments

• CoalScuttle.jpg
    CoalScuttle.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,551
Wow, that's a fancy one. What is the mechanism below it? Does it disappear into the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.