Wood Pellet Stove Insert - Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiteWait

Nov 14, 2008
CT
I've got a Quadrafire Insert in a new home. I clean the stove regularly. How often should the chimney itself be cleaned? My thought would be less often than if I used it as a fireplace correct? Also, can a chminey cleaner clean the flue from roof so I don't have to un-install the stove and re-install it? Thanks!

How do you empty your cleanout on the tee?
Does your vent pipe go all the way up the chimney, or just part of the way?

No clean-out tee on my Quad Castile insert . 5' pipe into the flue liner only. Checked with the Quad installer who also services and said he has been cleaning the Quads for years and has had no problems. Everything gets vacuumed at the end of the season. I don't know how correct he is but he could have sold me alot of stuff and told me to put my money away. Im not going to argue.

My 4" liner goes all the way to the top of my chimney(21' liner). Once a month I slide my stove out far enough to pull the cap out of my cleanout and empty. Then I tap on the liner with the handle of a hammer and vac up a couple more cap fulls. I run a brush down my liner once a year. I have been getting a lot more ash this year using "American Wood Fiber" pellets. I used "Somerset" pellets last year but was unable to get them this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.