Wood stove and chimney restore question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Farmer joe thomas

Sep 14, 2020
Southeast missouri
I don’t know if you have finished the job or where you might be with it. Here is my answer after 40 years in the construction industry ( approximately 20 of it in residential building). If you have to put in two layers use 1/2” plywood with a 1/2” dura rock on top of it? Or if you want to be sure without any doubts at all, use 3/4 sub floor material and 1/4” hardy type of sheet goods for the tile.
Though I, in the distant past have done this, I would not recommend outing tile to bare wood. Manufacturer says no and would void any warranty that would have otherwise maybe been of benefit? Also and again, the manufacturer says DO NOT use underlayment as structural. SO YOU DONT DOIT!!!
Would two layers of dura rock support that weight? I have seen it in action, and yes it will. However, should any failure of any warrantied product occur it is not under warranty. If you want to check this out with someone who hasn’t built and trimmed 200 houses then call tech support at the manufacturer. No wonder middle class working ppl are the minority!!!! We will not ever seek instruction cuz it robs us of testosterone. Hell guys, we can’t even lift and lower the toilet seat for the ones we love?