wood stove and humidification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's surprising. Out here fresh makeup air is code in new construction.

Reactions: Dieselhead
No.

Funny enough, I believe the least restrictive path of fresh air into the house is actually the wood stove. In the summer time, when the weather is right and we turn on a bathroom fan or range hood I can get a creosote smell in the house wafting towards the exhaust fan from the stove. Turn off the fan and the smell dissipates. I’ve read others have that issue too.
That is what a make air system is for. We have a high powered vent hood for our range. Makeup air is required by code here for any vent hood higher than 400 cfm. Ours is 1200 cfm. If air is being sucked out it needs to be replaced. I would rather not have it replaced by air coming from my wood stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
That is what a make air system is for. We have a high powered vent hood for our range. Makeup air is required by code here for any vent hood higher than 400 cfm. Ours is 1200 cfm. If air is being sucked out it needs to be replaced. I would rather not have it replaced by air coming from my wood stove.
No doubt about that

So I’m not 100% sold on “wood stoves pull in dry outside air”.
Good, because it's not 100% the problem! Heated indoor air can be dry even with an OAK and in a well-sealed house. But bringing in a constant supply of outside air and then heating it will take things from bad to even worse, by constantly sweeping away some part of the humidity you manage to add from a humidifier, showers, cooking, etc.

So, it's not that only leaky houses without OAKs are dry in winter, but that those are the configuration which typically suffers even more greatly than the rest.