Wood stove clearance in a masonry fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AZ Firebird

Jan 8, 2022
Tucson, AZ
I'm hoping someone can provide some concrete advice (no pun intended). I'm still struggling to pin down options to heat a small space in AZ. Don't need it for much of the year, but I'm not finding many insert or wood stove options for a 600 sq. ft. area. The insert or stove has to be installed in my fireplace hearth/masonary chimney because of the layout of the room. A small insert seemed to be the only option, but I'm not sure I like the look of them.

I have received so much conflicting information about wood stove installations that I've nearly given up on that option. Recently I was told that I would need at least 4 inches of clearance (even around the back) for a Morso wood stove if installed in my fireplace hearth/masonary chimney. I called Regency about their clearance requirements and they won't even allow their dealers to install their wood stoves in an existing fireplace hearth. Then I talked to a VC dealer and he didn't see a problem butting an Intrepid wood stove up to the back of the fireplace hearth.

Question - is the clearance requirement true across the board for wood stove installations in a masonary fireplace? You can't put a Vermont Castings wood stove (or any for that matter) in a hearth without 4" of clearance in the back? The hearth slopes inward towards the top, so there would be enough clearance until it starts getting towards the top of the wood stove where it would narrow down to an inch or so I would guess. So far, the models that come close to the space and size requirements are the VC Intrepid, Morso 7110 B, and Morso 1410 B. Thanks

Clearance requirements are to combustibles. If this is a masonry fireplace then usually the only clearance requirement is to the mantel, mantel trim or surrounding cabinetry. However, if there are controls on the back of the stove or if it is thermostatically regulated, then that may be an issue, especially with the thermostat on the rear of the stove. This could be an issue with the Intrepid. The little Morsoes don't have these issues and should be ok if there are no other confounding factors.

Can you post a picture of the fireplace and include the dimensions (including depth)?

Here are the dimensions of the fireplace hearth, is this picture. Is this good enough or do you need me to take the front grill off?

Height: 30 3/4"
Width: 27 1/2"
Depth at bottom: 23 1/2"
Depth at top: 23 1/2"
Height in back of fireplace: 26 1/2"
Width in back of fireplace: 24 1/2"

PXL_20220104_230457270.jpg

That looks ok for the 1440, though it looks like a hearth pad would need to be put under the stove. What happened to the hearth?

Hello begreen,
The plan is to put the stove inside the hearth. Would a hearth pad be needed if the stove is sitting on the brinks in the bottom of the hearth?

Nothing has happened to the hearth, we just want to make the fireplace more functional (no damper) and efficient so we have been looking into inserts and stoves. We really like the look that you see on English TV where they put wood stoves in the fireplace hearth, but it has been so difficult to navigate thru all of the differing opinions/requirements.

For example, we were told that we may not be able to put a wood stove in the hearth because the flue must go dead straight upwards without any flex pipe. We have some type of curve in the chimney (I thought the chimney sweep called it a smoke bump) that would prevent the flue going straight up.

Another example, the chimney sweep (who is coming over tomorrow) said that wood stoves are different between Europe and the US. The European styles are made specifically to go in fireplace hearths (which tend to be taller he added). We have Ben Franklin styles and we won't like the look if we put one in the hearth. But, he said he could if we wanted him too.

Honestly, due to the differing opinions I feel like I am in analysis paralysis just trying to make the right decision :O(

Hello begreen,
The plan is to put the stove inside the hearth. Would a hearth pad be needed if the stove is sitting on the brinks in the bottom of the hearth?

Nothing has happened to the hearth, we just want to make the fireplace more functional (no damper) and efficient so we have been looking into inserts and stoves. We really like the look that you see on English TV where they put wood stoves in the fireplace hearth, but it has been so difficult to navigate thru all of the differing opinions/requirements.

For example, we were told that we may not be able to put a wood stove in the hearth because the flue must go dead straight upwards without any flex pipe. We have some type of curve in the chimney (I thought the chimney sweep called it a smoke bump) that would prevent the flue going straight up.

Another example, the chimney sweep (who is coming over tomorrow) said that wood stoves are different between Europe and the US. The European styles are made specifically to go in fireplace hearths (which tend to be taller he added). We have Ben Franklin styles and we won't like the look if we put one in the hearth. But, he said he could if we wanted him too.

Honestly, due to the differing opinions I feel like I am in analysis paralysis just trying to make the right decision :O(
It really doesn't sound the the people you are dealing with have any clue what they are talking about. The pipe absolutely does not have to be straight up without any curves. I have been to multiple training programs from regency and they never mentioned the clearance from non-combustible material.

That being said stuffing a stove back inside a fireplace is going to really limit it's heat performance. But it will burn fine

What is that floor made of? Is it tile made to look like wood?

Would the jotul 602 fit in there?

If it was me i'de put a small stove in there and have it stick out some. Obviously a hearth pad is needed for anything u put in there.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody! The flooring in front of the fireplace is tile that looks like a whitewashed, distressed wood.

The local dealer has a Jotul 602 on the floor, but it would stick out several inches depending on how far back the stove was installed. The room is so narrow that we hate to lose any of the floor space, but maybe that model needs to be back in the running.

Understood about how the heat won't radiate well, but the area is so small that we assumed a stove would still have an impact. I was almost sold on the insert with a blower, but not sure if that is even needed for the livable area involved.

We did a similar install of a VC Aspen in a hearth with near zero clearance on the back and a hearth pad installed in the front.

An eco fan on top really solved any performance issues fr the stove being so far back. The one downside is to service the stove it has to come out. Thankfully it's a small stove and can be moved rather easily with a trolley jack.

PXL_20211125_034720305.jpg

Many apologies, it looks like I am using the wrong terminology. I thought the hearth was the inside, but according to our friend Google that is the firebox. There was no real hearth extending into the room as far as I know.

Many apologies, it looks like I am using the wrong terminology. I thought the hearth was the inside, but according to our friend Google that is the firebox. There was no real hearth extending into the room as far as I know.
The hearth is the floor is the firebox. The hearth extension is what extends into the room

Thanks for the pic! I think one problem we are going to run into (and the chimney sweep mentioned this when I talked to him) is that our fireplace opening is not as tall as the 2 shown here. I think that is one reason the chimney sweep said he could install a wood stove in there, but we would not like it. We'll find out soon, he is coming over today.

Its fine you will just need a low-profile stove and likely one that is rear vented.