Wood stove fire brick hazards?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Branimal

Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
Hey everyone. I lurk here occasionally, reading up on new stove technology for the day I replace my old Earth stove. Well, that day is in a week or two! I've settled on the Lopi Liberty Nexgen. In order to fit the new stove in my current stove's location, I need to get the old stove out of the way and re-do the hearth pad (I built this pad to fit this stove's dimensions 20 years ago, when I was young. Bought the stove and most of the pipe for $150, and it has served us well). Now that I'm 47, I want to remove the fire brick to lessen the weight so my brother, father and I can get the stove out of the house. My question is, can I remove the fire brick without fear of any hazards to my family? I need to bust the bricks apart to get them out due to the previous owner modifications (lots of weird welding in the firebox). As someone that has worked with/around vermiculite in my contractor past, and have a degree in occupational safety, I'm worried about releasing any asbestos into our house as I break the brick apart. I've searched here but don't see info. Thanks for any feedback!

Here's my old, inefficient, wood gobbling monster (heating 2400 square feet of old house):

Capture.JPG

Are the firebricks unusual? If they are standard firebrick then there shouldn't be an issue. Wear a mask and gloves just to be safe. Take of the door to reduce more weight and get the stove on wheels to make it easier to move.

Reactions: Branimal
Are the firebricks unusual? If they are standard firebrick then there shouldn't be an issue. Wear a mask and gloves just to be safe. Take of the door to reduce more weight and get the stove on wheels to make it easier to move.
Standard firebrick size. Door comes off when I dip ashes, roger that lol. I moved this stove up uneven outdoor stone stairs 20 years ago (before I built an easier exterior doorway), still don't know how we were able to accomplish it! Stove needs to go up 2 steps to get to the main house level, will be interesting 😀. Thanks for the reply, and happy to join up.

I moved this stove up uneven outdoor stone stairs 20 years ago, still don't know how we were able to accomplish it!
Well, you were 20 years younger!

Note on getting the thing up on wheels, assuming the regular 4-wheel dolly with hard rubber wheels: Put down plywood or other suitable floor protection, if you happen to have soft pine floors. DAMHIKT.

Reactions: Branimal
I own an engine hoist just for the purpose of getting my insert up into the fireplace. It’s been used by the family 3 times in the last two years. Not one engine yet. (Two inserts and a toolbox).

Reactions: Ashful and Branimal
Well, you were 20 years younger!

Note on getting the thing up on wheels, assuming the regular 4-wheel dolly with hard rubber wheels: Put down plywood or other suitable floor protection, if you happen to have soft pine floors. DAMHIKT.
All of us were 20 years younger, I'm the baby of the family (47 now). And when we installed, we gouged the cheap linoleum floor we had at the time...plywood already waiting in the wings. Main floor is oak, once it's on that level it'll be easy.

Our appliance dolly has 10" pneumatic tires. No marring on our oak floor in spite of the 600# of T6 being moved in.

Reactions: Ashful
There is no danger in firebricks…
Thanks for the confirmation. I had a scare in the last few years for a lung nodule found during a routine heart scan...cleared by a pulmonologist last week. Apparently the nodule has been there a while undetected and unchanged.

Thanks for the confirmation. I had a scare in the last few years for a lung nodule found during a routine heart scan...cleared by a pulmonologist last week. Apparently the nodule has been there a while undetected and unchanged.
Glad it was nothing serious

I'm super excited to get a new stove, and really hoping the Liberty is easier on the wood pile. Depending on the winter, I usually burn between 10-15 rick of seasoned hardwood per year over the last 2 decades. I haven't seen much Nexgen Liberty info on the forum, I'm sure I'll have questions going forward and will share my experience. Growing up my family had a Fisher...my parents are still using it, and it is still working for their smaller home. I learned VERY early that nothing beats wood heat :)

Reactions: Ashful
Let us know how it goes for ya. The older Liberty was way more efficient than the Earth stove. Imagine the new Liberty may be even better.
Study the new operator's manual closely. Worth your time to know the startup/reload procedure.
Enjoy.

Make sure you’ve got truly seasoned wood. This is the biggest issue people face going from an old stove to a new one