Wood stove on concrete floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yawiney

Dec 20, 2011
West Sonoma County, CA
Hey guys. Is there an issue with cracking the slab from too much heat by having the stove directly on the concrete floor?
It's a converted garage that hasn't had a vehicle in it in many years and the concrete has been degreased and sealed with a penetrating sealer.
Stove is a Fischer one size down from the biggest one. I'm thinking to get the ball feet to put on under the legs to help.
If necessary I could buy a hearth pad. I just like it right on the concrete.
Thanks!

I have had one on concrete for many years and has yet to crack it. I'd guess about 15 years but in all honesty it doesn't see a lot of use now days.

No, the heat will not crack the concrete. If the slab was on poo quality fill the concentrated weight may cause cracking.

Do realize that the R value of concrete is pretty poor so a lot of the radiant heat from the stove will be sucked into the ground below. Many buildings built on slabs do not insulate the edge of the slab and that can really suck the heat out of room.

Reactions: Yawiney
No, the heat will not crack the concrete. If the slab was on poo quality fill the concentrated weight may cause cracking.

Do realize that the R value of concrete is pretty poor so a lot of the radiant heat from the stove will be sucked into the ground below. Many buildings built on slabs do not insulate the edge of the slab and that can really suck the heat out of room.
Thanks! So it might be a good idea to use the hearth pad for insulation... Hmmm....