Wood stove roof joist problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newfieguy

Jan 23, 2022
Canada
Just built my cabin. And now I noticed my roof rafters and wall are in the way of having my stove in the corner and pipe going straight up. Photos attached. Wondering what options I have, I really wanted a straight pipe as it’s a cathedral ceiling. Appreciate your thoughts.

0440BF0D-1EF9-404A-AEA1-D973697BBD51.jpeg 640B654F-89FD-4C3D-ADC5-972CB2EA61D4.jpeg 03D3E932-2845-47C8-BF31-27E00C40C2A4.jpeg

Talk to your architect. He is the only person who can modifying any engineered truss designs.
There are standard framing practices for boxing in openings thru this type of structure, but he
will have to put his blessing on them...

Call the company that makes or sells the trusses they will have the correct answer for free.

It’s very rare to have a stove in the corner that doesn’t require elbows. Just offset the pipe right below the support box, you’ll forget it’s there in a few days.

Reactions: wjohn
Did you buy the stove yet? If so which model.