Wood stoves the cause of depression according to this article lol.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a lot of wood burners in the area i live in since hardwood is plentiful and free or cheap to buy. The whole county’s population is just 16,000 so we aren’t on top of each other by any means and most of us burners use EPA stoves nowadays I would think so I never notice any real wood smoke pollution hanging in the air but I have seen some outdoor wood boilers putting out a lot of smoke and there are a few houses I’ve gone by and thought it was a shame to see them bellowing out wood smoke that could have been burned for more heat instead of let out into the environment.
Great song and video, I first saw it 15 years ago or so and I thought where’d they get that middle school guitar player….? 😂

Reactions: clancey
I liked the article and we are entering a new age here and there are a lot of new major problems coming up in the way of energy and I can understand both sides. I think that the stove makers should take a heavy look at this issue and solve the problem. They have "cats" that really reduce the pollution but they should work on something where you not buying or fixing a cat so often and you have to fool with it too in order to keep it clean. With our technology of today they should maybe create a piece of equipment that would "zap" the bad elements of the smoke burning out of the burning process so that one could continue to burn safely for everyone involved worldwide. Or maybe even have some sort of chemical that would soak in the bad stuff--just suggesting here but it is a problem for the future. So the bottom line for me would be to fix this problem and this is up to the stove makers to solve. People are so "worried" about fossil fuels and I happen to be among the ones who truly appreciate the positives of fossil fuels and the companies are all revamping their burning processes but I say there are real dangers ahead in the way of "all electric processes". , especially solar and 5G that people seem to be ignoring because they figure that nothing can be done...Problems that are to be solved in the future all start with a major problem and somehow people seem to be solving the problems as they emerge. The fossil fuel companies are trying to clean up their act and I say: "Bless the fossil fuels" as well as "just work on fixing the problem of wood burning stoves and the makers of stoves should come forward and really attack the issue of maintaining good air and health for its people. Wood burning can be improved..I am one of those people who can "hear" the hum of the energies and they say less than 20% of the people worldwide can hear these noises but the thing that people are not aware of it is warming up the planet these new energies and this is the extinction of humankind and in the future people will seriously look at this issue of 5G and all the rest. With even writing about 5G on here I was called a "tin hat" as well as suggesting to put tin foil on my head among other things and all these issues about "fuels" should be addressed to continue to use them but "fix the problems" that they bring forward to humanity...So one could begin with the stove manufacture people...or these other companies (electric and gas ) should "decrease" the price of having enough energy for daily living because it seems a heck of a lot cleaner within the homes and in the air outside...Solar and electric vehicles have their place but they also have "bad results" in the way of health for the animals as well as people because I say---these new energies 5 G and the computer technology industry will make our planet just like the other planets not being able to be lived on and dead planets for all to see.. Its just a matter of "have we passed the point of no return" for own very own wonderful planet...How many planets has humankind lived on in the past and they are now just being just "recycled" and that for me is our "earths story" as well. Why even in the future humankind will figure out a way to just move a planet and we might be able to have a lot more "earths"...and let the other "earths" rest and become clean again...But right now stove makers should fix the problem just like the fossil fuel people are trying to fix the problem..I love all energies and this is the future and I love my wood burning stove as well...I am a coal lover too and they at least are trying to clean up their act...old mrs clancey

"they should maybe create a piece of equipment that would "zap" the bad elements of the smoke burning out of the burning process"

They already did. It's called secondary burn tubes or a cat. And it works. But just like with a car, you have to put in the right fuel, and treat it the way the manufacturer tells you is the best way otherwise it might break or may not work. Here that is the right chimney system, and dry wood, and only wood.

I do agree that it would be nice if cats could be developed that last longer. But given the variability in fuel condition and operating temperature (as compared to the rather constant fuel and temp of a car cat), I don't hold my breath for that.

Reactions: fbelec and bholler
I have faith in the energy companies fixing the problem of pollution and I am sure they are all working on a solution right now...But when you get into solar and the "higher energies" to me this sounds like "doom" for all living things: Our whales, our crabs and fish of the sea, and especially humankind who will be decreased in number and I believe "with intent". It's a funny thing when they quickly--I mean "quick" put up all the 5G towers here in Colorado all the advertisements on television started announcing new vitamins and new medicines and most of these new medicines and therapy all had to do with the coming side effects that are directly the side effects of the "higher energies", Hearing problems, skin problems, breathing problems, blood problems, and depression problems as well as a lack of energy and a lack of sleep with a nervousness of people that are just plain "jumpy" with a loss of patience and much more anger and road rage too. Our birds are dying and falling in clumps-hundreds of them straight down into the ground..Our whales are beaching themselves and I think it is the noise five G in the oceans and radar that the different countries are blasting under and over in our seas, even on land our precious bees are dying. So getting back to "tubes" in the stoves and imagine that these can really get clogged up and for the common person with no dyi skills who own stoves and the point that I wish to make is they should make these stoves more easy to work on or have another "complete system change" on how to make them easy as well as collecting the pollutants in some kind of a dedicated system, maybe some different type of filters that you can just throw away or plug into a tank of water that could be reused into something else. There is a lot of smart people in this world and I have faith in the stove makers to come up with better solutions so that we all can enjoy our wood burning and not impact other people as well. I do not believe that the "cats" are the best that they could offer in regard the total way that one has to maintain them in order to keep the air cleaner and as you pointed to with the abuse of them by the heat that causes them to not last that long and have to be replaced after so many years as well as a continue cleaning and "don't bend them for they will fall apart having to clean them with a soft material so as not to disturb the working elements within them and most people are not dyi minded to begin with. I know there is a better way and I know that the stove companies in the future will solve the problem of dirty air as well as all the energy companies for they are working on problems to have cleaner fuel because they are going to have to do this for people to survive with good health and while I am on this subject the countries can get together and clean up our oceans too in a mass way. Pipe dreams..clancey

I have faith in the energy companies fixing the problem of pollution and I am sure they are all working on a solution right now...But when you get into solar and the "higher energies" to me this sounds like "doom" for all living things: Our whales, our crabs and fish of the sea, and especially humankind who will be decreased in number and I believe "with intent". It's a funny thing when they quickly--I mean "quick" put up all the 5G towers here in Colorado all the advertisements on television started announcing new vitamins and new medicines and most of these new medicines and therapy all had to do with the coming side effects that are directly the side effects of the "higher energies", Hearing problems, skin problems, breathing problems, blood problems, and depression problems as well as a lack of energy and a lack of sleep with a nervousness of people that are just plain "jumpy" with a loss of patience and much more anger and road rage too. Our birds are dying and falling in clumps-hundreds of them straight down into the ground..Our whales are beaching themselves and I think it is the noise five G in the oceans and radar that the different countries are blasting under and over in our seas, even on land our precious bees are dying. So getting back to "tubes" in the stoves and imagine that these can really get clogged up and for the common person with no dyi skills who own stoves and the point that I wish to make is they should make these stoves more easy to work on or have another "complete system change" on how to make them easy as well as collecting the pollutants in some kind of a dedicated system, maybe some different type of filters that you can just throw away or plug into a tank of water that could be reused into something else. There is a lot of smart people in this world and I have faith in the stove makers to come up with better solutions so that we all can enjoy our wood burning and not impact other people as well. I do not believe that the "cats" are the best that they could offer in regard the total way that one has to maintain them in order to keep the air cleaner and as you pointed to with the abuse of them by the heat that causes them to not last that long and have to be replaced after so many years as well as a continue cleaning and "don't bend them for they will fall apart having to clean them with a soft material so as not to disturb the working elements within them and most people are not dyi minded to begin with. I know there is a better way and I know that the stove companies in the future will solve the problem of dirty air as well as all the energy companies for they are working on problems to have cleaner fuel because they are going to have to do this for people to survive with good health and while I am on this subject the countries can get together and clean up our oceans too in a mass way. Pipe dreams..clancey
I am sorry but fossil fuel companies are not working on anything to reduce pollution. They just supply the fuel. Cleaning it up comes from the appliances and vehicles etc. They certainly could clean up the production but they have nothing motivating them to.

How exactly is solar going to harm all of those things???

As far as tubes clogging I have been doing this a long time worked on many hundreds of tube stoves and have yet to see one clogged. It just doesn't happen. Most tube stoves are very easy to work on. Most cat stoves are as well.

Our birds are dying and falling in clumps-hundreds of them straight down into the ground..Our whales are beaching themselves and I think it is the noise five G in the oceans and radar that the different countries are blasting under and over in our seas, even on land our precious bees are dying.
That's just silly. There is no correlation. The birds that dropped out of the air were large flocks escaping the wildfire in the west. Whales beaching can be from a number of reasons, one of the most insidious causes is underwater naval sonic booms, definitely not 5G.

Solar energy is hitting the planet all the time. Plants harvest it. Should we be afraid of plants and the sun now? This is just nuts. The advertisers have found out what some people are worried about and target them with ads. Health ads abound on some channels and they often target, the sick, elderly, and ill-informed. Snake oil salesmen are not new. Colorado was full of them 150 years ago too.

If I remember the frequencies correctly, water absorbs this range very well, meaning that sealife will be protected the best of all life...

Sea water carries the energy that vibrates and gets hot making sound waves that interferes with the whales communication and sonar channels. Stove burning is a tremendous life saving apparatus that they need to clean up and fix so that they are safe and easy to work even maybe making those wood stoves burn pellets and coal as well without all the jumping around and frustration to work them. Like I say I love all energies but they need in the future to make these things more safe and less polluting as well. Fireplaces with inserts and wood stoves are very nice things to have to keep us warm and cook with and give us the ambiance and that wonderful feeling of the special heat that they deliver so that we can make our means and try to save a little bit of money for other things in our lives. I agree with the op"s article and I love wood stoves but things involving air pollution has to be fixed so I say to all the stove makers start now to investigate new ways to achieve all this. clancey

Sea water carries the energy that vibrates and gets hot making sound waves that interferes with the whales communication and sonar channels. Stove burning is a tremendous life saving apparatus that they need to clean up and fix so that they are safe and easy to work even maybe making those wood stoves burn pellets and coal as well without all the jumping around and frustration to work them. Like I say I love all energies but they need in the future to make these things more safe and less polluting as well. Fireplaces with inserts and wood stoves are very nice things to have to keep us warm and cook with and give us the ambiance and that wonderful feeling of the special heat that they deliver so that we can make our means and try to save a little bit of money for other things in our lives. I agree with the op"s article and I love wood stoves but things involving air pollution has to be fixed so I say to all the stove makers start now to investigate new ways to achieve all this. clancey
Again what does solar power have to do with any of that?

Reactions: Ashful
It has nothing to do with air pollution but it makes the environment warmer as well as taking up a tremendous amount of land to have it..We are being microwaved by these energies but humankind just does not know it yet . Plus there are problems of disposing of the left over parts of the batteries as well as trying to get the lithium and other materials that would be needed to keep them in operation...Electric cars and motorcycles have their place and I love them for the less polluting aspect of them as well as their wonderful quickness but there are problems there too for the younger generation to work out and they will for we have some smart young people. clancey

The whole point of needing to have many 5G towers is that their waves decay fast. So only the first mile of so of seawater surface even sees these waves. The heating argument you now put forward is as valid as me "believing" that lightning comes from the flying spaghetti monster. It is completely ludicrous. I can believe that but if I would study a little bit I'd see how wrong that believe is.

Solar panels do not heat the air; they absorb light that would otherwise be absorbed by roofs.

And finally stove manufacturers have been working on making them cleaner for over 30 years (thanks to government regulations BTW). So asking them to "start" doing so is again ludicrous.

You may have your beliefs, but please don't state as fact what you believe. Because many of these are as wrong as the flying spaghetti monster one I mentioned. And this site is meant for facts and possibly beliefs with proper arguments to support them. Yours are not.

I understand this is a hard message to hear but after so much nonsense, this needs to be said too.

It has nothing to do with air pollution but it makes the environment warmer as well as taking up a tremendous amount of land to have it..We are being microwaved by these energies but humankind just does not know it yet . Plus there are problems of disposing of the left over parts of the batteries as well as trying to get the lithium and other materials that would be needed to keep them in operation...Electric cars and motorcycles have their place and I love them for the less polluting aspect of them as well as their wonderful quickness but there are problems there too for the younger generation to work out and they will for we have some smart young people. clancey
How does solar energy production make our environment warmer?

I agree with the op's article that he presented and everybody has a right to post the way that they take it in their own minds on how it reads to them...Wood burning stoves pollute the environment and there are ways that the stove can be reinvented to make them safer as well as easier for the people who have them and this at this moment is all that is necessary to say for people will use their own minds and as far as technical information about solar refer to stoveliker for he seems to know a lot about it... In answer to begreen. this is the video that I saw in a larger format and it is really concerning no matter what "exact" reason for it and this is happening world wide...clancey

Last edited:
i looked at the bird video. they have one leader and they all follow him or her. they are dead because they hit the ground. just like when a bird hits a sliding glass door it either breaks their neck of they are badly stunned and either die or fly away

That's all true what you say about birds and some of the reasons "why". But so many sick birds appearing as well and I am doing my best to give another view on the different energies wishing for me not to get into the political realities of all of this but the wood burning problem has to be solved in the future and if not "It will be banned"., and I do not want that for I do like it and they can figure out ways to tackle this problem and I sincerely agree with that other earlier poster on posting number 26 and that song I love. I am just an old woman "what do I know", and like the other poster I too am living in a environment where there is so much(not smoke) but energies around in the air like 5g , wifi, dirty electricity, gun shot sound warning connected to police stations like radio waves and emf.s . I can feel it by way of vibration and heat and I can hear a unexplained humming noise 24 hours a day. I can hear the noise driving south, west, east and north with five hours of driving time in trying to get away from it looking for a location to move to so that I will not experience this type of noise pollution not smoke like the poster # 26 person is experiencing but one just as dangerous for our planet in the way of human and all creatures health. I think that your posting song lover is wonderful and really explains how people can be totally affected by these events. Some people have a name for us calling us "hummers" but please do start your different researches about the world wide hum noise and see the effects for yourselves. One piece of real evidence that I have for my own experience is it started the day they put the 5G pole up about three or four car lengths from my home and I complained about the wires hanging out of it that kids must have gotten into it and a white van was sent in the next few days with no markings on as I was looking out the door with my bathrobe on and for very few seconds less than a minute the noise stopped as he was fooling with the meter box on it that has a shut off valve lever connected to it with a warning and that's when I felt the full impact of it because in that silent moment my whole body was relieved of a pressure that felt just like the weight of those blankets they cover you with when dental xrays are taken and nobody else hears this hum noise. So I have full sympathy with you and understand as well. That was in about march or april when they put it in and I am surrounded on all sides by ugly towers as well and these five g poles are spaced close together about 8 houses worth and they hide most of the 5g equipment in other places--under roofs in cactus's and the like...I am too old to move and in the mist of trying to abate the situation in my home by emf bed canopies and curtains and special paint and I got rid of my wifi and hard wired my computer...hoping that I can make a difference in regard to trying to maintain good health for this is all that I can do...All the birdies in my area have disappeared. No robins, wood peckers, blue jays, few sparrows and all the birds are gone this year only pigeons and crows on the lines. Sorry for this long post but its real to me as well as needing to have the faith that they will fix these things or at least trying to find ways to fix it and accomplishing the goal. Me of little faith---God Bless my country and your beautiful country and all its people..clancey

I've spent time working in the UK and Ireland, and have some friends there, still. I will say that, unlike mainland Europe, they're very stuck to tradition and not changing... well, anything. It is very likely that, many of the assumptions stated in the OP's article are true, and based on a population of very old woodstoves installed by grandpa and still burned today. That's not a criticism, I truly love the place, but it does affect my interpretation of the article.

I'm not the fist here to say it, but the answer is the same as has been for most of our socio-environmental problems: public awareness. Hopefully that results in more people burning modern stoves more cleanly, rather than a push toward legislation against burning wood, but it really can go either way. If each person who learns to burn dry wood in a modern stove can convince two or three friends to do the same, I suspect that is the best we can hope for. The more folks ignorantly pushing wet wood thru any stove, modern or ancient, and the more who hang onto their old Fishers, the more negative backlash I expect we will hear.

If the data exists, I would be very interested to see a listing of average installed particulate output by country, to confirm my first statement. The US is so large and varied, politically and socio-economically, that I guess you'd really need to break it down by state.

Sooooo . . . there's no such thing as the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Just asking for a friend.

Next thing you'll tell me there's no beer volcano in heaven.

Sooooo . . . there's no such thing as the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Just asking for a friend.

Next thing you'll tell me there's no beer volcano in heaven.

But, but.......

04.png

Status
Not open for further replies.