Wood stud clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JayCee12

Nov 25, 2021
Bushkill, Pa
Hello all,
I need some input on this insert install. I had a fireplace when we bought the house but the brick job was terrible so I removed the brick floor to ceiling and studded and sheet rocked over the fireplace opening until I was ready for the insert. Now Im ready to install a osburn 1700 insert. I cut the wood studs halfway up the wall and installed metal studs and hardibacker for ceramic tile. I have 36" from the stove up to the closest wooden stud. If someone can take a look at the pics for me because Im second guessing myself wether or not Im doing the right thing here. Thanks in advance.

20221111_122552.jpg 20221114_150845.jpg

Hello all,
I need some input on this insert install. I had a fireplace when we bought the house but the brick job was terrible so I removed the brick floor to ceiling and studded and sheet rocked over the fireplace opening until I was ready for the insert. Now Im ready to install a osburn 1700 insert. I cut the wood studs halfway up the wall and installed metal studs and hardibacker for ceramic tile. I have 36" from the stove up to the closest wooden stud. If someone can take a look at the pics for me because Im second guessing myself wether or not Im doing the right thing here. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 302951 View attachment 302952
You are not. You absolutely cannot put an insert in there. Inserts can only be installed in working woodburning fireplaces. Code requires a masonry face not steel studs.

Is that a heatform fireplace behind the metal stud wall? If so and it is bonded with metal to the studs, how is this not safe or different from a permitted ZC fireplace with a metal face?
This is a new one to me, what is the governing code and are there exceptions permitted?

What is that pink board on the face? Hardibacker is usually tan or putty colored.

Yes, I just found it. This is the shower stuff with the hydrodefense coating. I haven't seen it before.

Not sure what kind of fireplace it is.

View attachment 302959
It's a heatform-style metal fireplace. My concern is that it looks like there are opportunities (gaps) between the fireplace and the metal studding that may allow heat to get up the metal stud cavities.
I looked over the code, but didn't catch anything that covers this situation. bholler is a pro installer and has better knowledge of the code.

It's a heatform-style metal fireplace. My concern is that it looks like there are opportunities (gaps) between the fireplace and the metal studding that may allow heat to get up the metal stud cavities.
I looked over the code, but didn't catch anything that covers this situation. bholler is a pro installer and has better knowledge of the code.
All the gaps will be closed with hardi and then porcelain tiled, even going into the fireplace covering the studs and hardi. I get what your saying though. Id hate to have to rebrick the face.

Is that a heatform fireplace behind the metal stud wall? If so and it is bonded with metal to the studs, how is this not safe or different from a permitted ZC fireplace with a metal face?
This is a new one to me, what is the governing code and are there exceptions permitted?

Heat forms require 4" of solid masonry covering the smoke chamber area. At a minimum

Reactions: begreen
Heat forms require 4" of solid masonry covering the smoke chamber area. At a minimum
Yes, that makes sense. The code concern being that someone at some future point might want to revert this to an open fireplace and not know what is behind the facade? I had concerns about heat getting into the wall cavity even from the insert.

Reactions: bholler
If I remove the studs and brick

So I should remove the studs and brick it back up.
Yes you can then tile over the brick if you want.

Yes, that makes sense. The code concern being that someone at some future point might want to revert this to an open fireplace and not know what is behind the facade? I had concerns about heat getting into the wall cavity even from the insert.
Well inserts are tested and required to be installed in compliant fireplaces.

Is this safe? Very possibly but it doesn't conform to the standards so we don't really know

Reactions: begreen
I had doubts, you guys had doubts, thats enough for me. Better safe than sorry.
Good Morning, one other question. If Im going up the block wall with brick do I need an airgap or is that just for a compustible wall. Id like to go tight against the block with the brick and mortar.

Good Morning, one other question. If Im going up the block wall with brick do I need an airgap or is that just for a compustible wall. Id like to go tight against the block with the brick and mortar.
Masonry should be tight

Happy Holidays,
I faced the front with 4 inch block filled solid and tight to the wall, all the tile is done. Im a little confused with the hearth and the floor protection. Im going with 1-1/4 thick marble hearth and an 1-1/4 Marble floor protection, recessed into the hardwood floor so it doesnt stick up too much. My question is how much floor protection do I need if the bottom of the stove door is 12 inches high off the floor? Do I still need 16 inches out or does the stove door height come into play.

20221206_163134.jpg 20221224_083455.jpg 20221224_083800.jpg 20221224_083515.jpg