Woodmaster Vs Central Boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dabster13

Nov 27, 2018
MA
Is there a difference between these brands? Planning on getting a wood boiler in the near future and trying to do some research, and on their respective these look like the same units, just a different name on the front?

Maybe I'm missing something, hoping the more knowledgeable people here can let me know if there is a difference or if i should avoid both brands and get something else?

Assuming you are planning to install in Connecticut be aware of this regulation for OWBs

Connecticut Law

CGS § 22a-174k, enacted in 2005, bans the installation or operation of OWBs that do not meet certain requirements. A violation of the law is an infraction.

With a few exceptions, the law prohibits anyone from building, installing, establishing, modifying, operating, or using an OWB until EPA regulations governing them take effect.

The law allows OWBs if they were either built, modified or in use before July 8, 2005; or they

1. are installed at least 200 feet from the nearest neighboring home;
2. have a chimney shorter than 55 feet tall but at least as tall as the roof peaks of neighboring homes within 500 feet of the OWB;
3. burn only wood that has not been chemically treated; and
4. are installed and operated according to the manufacturer's written instructions, provided the instructions comply with the law.
Under the law, an OWB is an accessory structure or appliance designed to (1) be located outside living spaces ordinarily used for human habitation and (2) transfer or provide heat, through liquid or other means, through the burning of wood or solid waste. Under the law, these furnaces heat (a) spaces other than where they are located; (b) any other structure or appliance on the premises; (c) domestic water; or (d) water used in a swimming pool, hot tub, or Jacuzzi. The law does not apply to fire pits, wood-fired barbecues, or “chimineas” (decorative fireplaces).

Anyone who operates an OWB in violation of the law commits an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to $90. Each day the furnace operates is considered a separate violation. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) commissioner or a town or city affected by a furnace's operation or potential operation can enforce the law.

In 2008, a bill that would have allowed an OWB buyer to cancel his or her purchase agreement in certain circumstances (HB 5804) was favorably reported by the Environment Committee, but died in the Judiciary Committee.

Does Woodmaster make an EPA 2020 approved unit? Wasn't aware of it if they do...

Looking through the manuals it looks like neither manufacturer uses a lambda sensor in the exhaust stream...that's one thing that I really applaud HeatMaster on, they did their homework and use a lambda sensor to actively adjust the air mixture to actual burn conditions...like the better indoor models have for years now.

Be aware Mass has very similar restrictions on stack distances and distances from property lines for OWBs

Thank you, I think I should be good - I don't have neighbors on 3 sides of me, and the one to the south of me is a few hundred feet away, can't actually see his house from mine (mainly due to trees)

Guess I'm off to do some quick googling on heatmasters
Look up the HeatMaster Outdoor Wood Boilers group on FB too...a lot of real world experience there...also lots of videos from owners on Youtube...do the same for the CB, good way to find out some of their shortcomings (look up how to clean the HX on the CB) The Vids made by Marty Lappin are really good...he is a HM dealer. And Hearth member @E Yoder is also a dealer...but they are both straight shooters.
No knowledge of the WM, other than what I looked up today...

Last edited:
Makes sense on why they look so similar now, Will have to go check their facebook pages and see what people are saying

They both are the made by CB. I do some serious searching on Facebook forums, the internet, youtube videos etc before I'd buy a CB product. If you do, good luck cleaning the HX. :confused:

Look up the HeatMaster Outdoor Wood Boilers group on FB too...a lot of real world experience there...also lots of videos from owners on Youtube...do the same for the CB, good way to find out some of their shortcomings (look up how to clean the HX on the CB) The Vids made by Marty Lappin are really good...he is a HM dealer. And Hearth member @E Yoder is also a dealer...but they are both straight shooters.
No knowledge of the WM, other than what I looked up today...

So far having pretty poor luck with a heatmaster installer. You have any thoughts on Crown Royal stoves? Looking at the7200e now

I have no personal experience with them at all...just read about them on here.

So far having pretty poor luck with a heatmaster installer. You have any thoughts on Crown Royal stoves? Looking at the7200e now
I heard they were having some issues with the nozzles on their stove prematurely wearing. Heatmaster has a SS plate over the nozzle to prevent this.

I saw one for sale today and the dealer said it had an “updated nozzle kit”, so maybe that’s been fixed. It’s a simple stove, no computer. The firebox is SS like Heatmaster. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one as long as the nozzle issue has been resolved. I’ve heard they stand by warranty also.

I heard they were having some issues with the nozzles on their stove prematurely wearing. Heatmaster has a SS plate over the nozzle to prevent this.

I saw one for sale today and the dealer said it had an “updated nozzle kit”, so maybe that’s been fixed. It’s a simple stove, no computer. The firebox is SS like Heatmaster. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one as long as the nozzle issue has been resolved. I’ve heard they stand by warranty also.
Yes, I read they started using a new ceramic so hopefully it's fixed?

On other Crown Royal forums, I've rad they used to have SS like the heatmaster, but the heat would make them warp (which i hear is now a problem for heatmasters)

Yes, I read they started using a new ceramic so hopefully it's fixed?

On other Crown Royal forums, I've rad they used to have SS like the heatmaster, but the heat would make them warp (which i hear is now a problem for heatmasters)
It’s Chevy vs Ford. Pick your poison, and go with it. Crown is full SS, they have it in their brochure.

I’ve never heard of Heatmaster stoves warping. Maybe 1 in 10000, but not the majority. The “technology“ that Heatmaster is using is what sets them apart from the pack. The boiler guys call it lambda functionality, Heatmaster was the first to bring it to a OWB. That’s why the G10000 is the most efficient OWB out there. The G4000 is right on its heals. The test numbers don’t lie. 😉

It’s Chevy vs Ford. Pick your poison, and go with it. Crown is full SS, they have it in their brochure.

I’ve never heard of Heatmaster stoves warping. Maybe 1 in 10000, but not the majority. The “technology“ that Heatmaster is using is what sets them apart from the pack. The boiler guys call it lambda functionality, Heatmaster was the first to bring it to a OWB. That’s why the G10000 is the most efficient OWB out there. The G4000 is right on its heals. The test numbers don’t lie. 😉
Just to clarify, the stove isn't warping, just the nozzle cover.

Also, wanted to get the G4000, but the dealer won't get back to me.

Just to clarify, the stove isn't warping, just the nozzle cover.
I heard that one from a Crown Dealer too. I’m part of a Heatmaster Facebook group, I’ve yet to hear of anybody complaining about it. The nozzle cover is replaceable.

I’d try and call some other dealers if your closest dealer isn’t responding.

The “technology“ that Heatmaster is using is what sets them apart from the pack. The boiler guys call it lambda functionality, Heatmaster was the first to bring it to a OWB
I'd have to agree that HM has done their homework and have the most well refined OWB for the last few years now...not to say that there aren't a couple other reasonably good options out there though...I suppose your local dealer support (or not) would have to factor in to the brand decision.
Here, we are right in the middle between 2 HM dealers...technically were are just barely in the ones territory...but he is pretty good at making people mad, so dad talked with the other guy and was able to make a deal with him...so far so good.

I'd have to agree that HM has done their homework and have the most well refined OWB for the last few years now...not to say that there aren't a couple other reasonably good options out there though...I suppose your local dealer support (or not) would have to factor in to the brand decision.
Here, we are right in the middle between 2 HM dealers...technically were are just barely in the ones territory...but he is pretty good at making people mad, so dad talked with the other guy and was able to make a deal with him...so far so good.
I'm going to have to reach out back to heatmaster and see if they can connect me with a different dealer.

I'm going to have to reach out back to heatmaster and see if they can connect me with a different dealer.
I bought mine from a dealer 5 hours away in another state. My local dealer is great and very responsive, I just don’t believe in paying MSRP for big ticket items. Greenbacks talk 😉

Reactions: brenndatomu