Woodsplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just got back from hydrulic shop.To increase from 1/2" to 5/8" (which will give me 1/2"internal fitting diameter between pump,valve and tank...6' of 5/8" hose plus 4 strait fittings.$350😬
Jumpin jezzuss😬
Perhaps its time to buy a new pre made splitter.Can get them here for $1300 out the door.

Just got back from hydrulic shop.To increase from 1/2" to 5/8" (which will give me 1/2"internal fitting diameter between pump,valve and tank...6' of 5/8" hose plus 4 strait fittings.$350😬
Jumpin jezzuss😬
Perhaps its time to buy a new pre made splitter.Can get them here for $1300 out the door.
Parts are ridiculous now.

Reactions: Secondaryburns
If the pump and valve ports are 1/2" that's likely big enough. The manufacturers size those appropriately.

Check out SurplusCenter or DiscountHydraulicHose for hoses and fittings. I don't know if shipping to Canada makes it significantly more expensive.

Measure the ports on the pump and the valve, removing any reducers (there's one in the pump). If they're 1/2" they should match the document I posted earlier, I think it's around .75". 1/2" is 14 tpi which is another way to ID it. The parts you need for pump to valve are a 1/2" hose with 1/2" male NPT threads on each and, and a 1/2" NPT male to female swivel adapter so you can tighten the hose without twisting it. For a splitter I'd run two wire hose as the burst strength of one wire is below what many splitter's relief valves are set for. If the valve ports are larger than 1/2" then you can use an adapter which has that size on the male end.

Yeah, hopefully it’s not a Canadian freight issue, but I know even USPS Priority Mail is significantly higher to Canada. Is that shop your only option in town?

It may be worth checking Surplus Center, however; I bought 5 pre-made JIC hoses (four 1/2 and one 3/4), and 10 fittings (NPT/JIC) from them this past July for well less than that.

Had splitter out yesterday with 11 gallons of hydro 32 ran for about 4 hrs at 1/2 throttle.Outdoor temp was about 23F and hydraulic tank was 125F.Easy splitting all straight grained maple pump didnt even come up on its second stage.Isnt oil temp supposed to be ambient + 100?
I know she is gonna get a lot hotter in spring and summer

DBA1A8F1-4D9E-4244-A27B-DC33D4EE10D0.jpeg