Q&A woodstove installation into Pre-fab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I currently have a Pre-Way pre-fab fireplace and chimney in my house. The chimney pipe is tripled layer steel but I dont know the "class" or rating. It is 9 years old with moderate use.I am looking for some serious heat and am considering a woodburning insert or hearth stove. The existing fireplace opening is small which limits insert options. the hearth is 19" deep. Can the existing chimney pipe be utilized for a woodstove or does it need to be relined? Any ideas for a good stove to use? I live in Maryland. Thanks for your help.

Answer:

The Preway chimney is not rated for use with an insert, it must be lined. It is my opinion that all pre-fab fireplace chimneys should be relined if you intend to use a woodstove. These chimneys are not tested for this higher temperature use.

An open fireplace takes lots of room air up the chimney with the fire, therefore keeping a cooler stack. Woodstoves limit the air, so the pipe is hotter. In addition, stoves have a higher risk of creosote and chimney fires than do fireplaces.

Line the chimney with a 6" rigid or flex stainless steel liner... most people use a small insert model (prefabs usually have small fireboxes). Make certain to get a model which is approved for a pre-fab fireplace. Travis Industries and others make such models.

Status
Not open for further replies.