Worth it to replace valley comfort vc95 with new drolet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ilikefastinternet

Jan 31, 2019
Winnipeg
Hi. Currently heating the basement and having heat rise from my vc95. Wondering if a new drolet ht2000 would be better. My VC throws a lot of heat, but I've heard rumours of the new stoves throwing equal or better heat with way less wood. Any other options for this Canadian are also welcome.

Thanks!

What is a VC95?

I'm assuming Vermont Castings? Newer is better if run properly, tell us more if your situation, house size, layout etc.

First time I've seen this. Seems to be only sold in Canada.

I'm assuming Vermont Castings? Newer is better if run properly, tell us more if your situation, house size, layout etc.
It's in the basement. 1400 top and bottom. Lots of rooms. The Valley comfort does great to shoot hot air right up to the ceiling and up through a vent fan. Just wondering if a new one wood get super hot and shoot the heat up.

The Drolet HT2000 at almost 500 lbs ,its a beast to get in the house but at -37c my place is toasty. Load morning and night burning maple at those temps.

The Drolet HT2000 at almost 500 lbs ,its a beast to get in the house but at -37c my place is toasty. Load morning and night burning maple at those temps.
Thanks
I notice a lot of these new stoves have about the same btu's as my Valley comfort but they supposedly use less wood. I fill that fire box a few times a day

Thanks
I notice a lot of these new stoves have about the same btu's as my Valley comfort but they supposedly use less wood. I fill that fire box a few times a day
The fan on the ht2000 is only 100c/f vs your 400c/f , you may want to add a simple table fan aimed at door as this is a radiant heater . Having just recently getting my first epa stove from a pre epa stove what a difference in wood usage... but wood must be dry . My supply is 3 years old outside for 2 and 1 year in wood shed. Good luck.

The fan on the ht2000 is only 100c/f vs your 400c/f , you may want to add a simple table fan aimed at door as this is a radiant heater . Having just recently getting my first epa stove from a pre epa stove what a difference in wood usage... but wood must be dry . My supply is 3 years old outside for 2 and 1 year in wood shed. Good luck.
thanks

I have one of those old valley comfort vc95 that has a 4.75 cubic foot firebox. I was thinking about going to a new stove like the drolet ht2000 that has over 1 cubic foot less. I have a 6" chimney and dont feel like putting a new one in so I cant go to a King or a Regency.

Would it be bad to lose that much firebox space? I like my old valley comfort but those new epa stoves I heard burn a lot longer.

thanks

The HT2000 would be considered XL in the new EPA world. It'll give you a 10 hour burn with a ton of BTUs.

Tell us more about your setup and home, it may even be possible to go smaller. Going from L to XL today, generally speaking, you gain about 2 hours burn time, but I think the biggest gain is BTU output.

The HT2000 would be considered XL in the new EPA world. It'll give you a 10 hour burn with a ton of BTUs.

Tell us more about your setup and home, it may even be possible to go smaller. Going from L to XL today, generally speaking, you gain about 2 hours burn time, but I think the biggest gain is BTU output.

Hi, middle of canada so we get to -35 c without the wind chill.
1400 top and bottom and having the heat come up through grates. I need all the btu's I can. that old valley comfort just pumps out the heat like i cant have my hand above that stove and just watch the lines. Aside from alaska most places dont get as cold as us.

the house is well insulated. My stove is rated for 60 for 8 hours or between 80 - 95 max max.

thanks

The ht2000 runs hot hot. 750 stt is not unheard of. It's a real heater. 10 hour burn times are confirmed.

Reactions: angry Drolet
The vt95 and ht2000 are both really inefficient, with the Drolet's claimed efficiency 65%overall, and the funky bk circulator being 67% overall. The ht2000's firebox is 1cf smaller. You are also going from a purely convective stove to a radiant stove in a basement- a major downgrade unless the basement walls and floor are heavily insulated.

With a smaller stove that is less efficient and may lose a lot more heat to the walls and floor- I think you are looking at a major step down, there.

I'm not saying that the circulator is a great stove, but the Drolet is worse, especially in a basement.

(This is all from comparing the specs on paper- I've obviously never burned them side by side.)

I wouldn't switch, I think you'll be unhappy in the coldest part of the winter!!!

Those efficiency values are assigned as a default per EPA standards based on the combustion methods used, not a fair representation of actual efficiency. Most stoves these days are running north of 70%.

And 80%+ is not at all hard to find. If you are buying a new stove anyway... why commit to processing all that extra wood, and loading the stove that many more times every year?

The most important questions for him is, "How is your basement insulated?" If the answer includes concrete floors or walls, then switching to any radiant stove will be a real setback for him (let alone a much smaller, less efficient one).

The vt95 and ht2000 are both really inefficient, with the Drolet's claimed efficiency 65%overall, and the funky bk circulator being 67% overall. The ht2000's firebox is 1cf smaller. You are also going from a purely convective stove to a radiant stove in a basement- a major downgrade unless the basement walls and floor are heavily insulated.

With a smaller stove that is less efficient and may lose a lot more heat to the walls and floor- I think you are looking at a major step down, there.

I'm not saying that the circulator is a great stove, but the Drolet is worse, especially in a basement.

(This is all from comparing the specs on paper- I've obviously never burned them side by side.)
My HT2000 says its 78% effic. where did you get the 65% number?

My HT2000 says its 78% effic. where did you get the 65% number?

Average of HHV and LHV. They claim 67% and 63% on the website.

https://www.drolet.ca/en/products/stoves/ht2000-with-pedestal/#fiche-technique

Image183213127933289097.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those could be the numbers for the older HT2000 stove. The present and new HT2000 has some upgrades .They also had the HT 1600 and the HT3000 which I was not aware of till recently.