Would like some help identifying my stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SaltyWoodsman

Jan 4, 2017
Northeastern PA
Hello everyone. Bit of a forum n00b here, so please forgive me jumping right in with a "help me identify" thread. I have lurked and searched images, and cannot seem to find any info on this stove.

So, a bit of background on the stove. It came with the house. The previous owner can't tell me much about it. The house was built in '96, so I'm guessing the stove must be around the same age, unless the owner had a friend that knew a guy? The only marking is "ALASKA" and the sunburst logo.

It hasn't been well maintained, but it is serviceable. I've been heating my home since the beginning of the fall with it. I do have smoke/CO detectors in place, just in case. It throws out great heat. Box is about 26" interior. Lined with firebrick. Baffle is in place. It has some surface rust (summer project to recondition), but all in all the box appears intact.

I've attached some photos, and I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks!

Attachments

• stove_front.jpg
    stove_front.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 208
  • stove_left.jpg
    stove_left.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 208
  • stove_right.jpg
    stove_right.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 180
So, a bit of background on the stove. It came with the house. The previous owner can't tell me much about it. The house was built in '96, so I'm guessing the stove must be around the same age, unless the owner had a friend that knew a guy? The only marking is "ALASKA" and the sunburst logo.
What do you want to know it is an alaska single door which is a rip off of the fisher papa bear. They are tanks they can crank out the heat but they also burn through wood in a hurry and dont burn very clean either. They are good old stove but the new stuff is much better. What chimney is it venting into? Have you had that chimney inspected for safety?

It's a masonry (cinder block) chimney with a terra cotta flue liner. I was told it was professionally cleaned (I may have wrongfully assumed) inspected this past spring. Plans are to install a SS liner, and upgrade this warhorse to a better model, as we're planning on a basement remodel, this spring. This will heat the man-cave in the garage after reconditioning.

Or, would I be better off cashing in on the scrap value of the metal?

I forgot to add, thank you for your reply.

Or, would I be better off cashing in on the scrap value of the metal?
No they make great shop or cabin stoves. And it is not in bad shape. I would want something more efficient as my main stove but I wouldn't scrap it if I were you. That being said we do scrap a few like it a year. But most are in worse shape than that. And scrap is so low now you wont get more that $25 for it anyway

A stove like that could still bring about $200-300 in my area if it was painted and the bricks are intact. Getting it on the market at the beginning of the season is important though. If you have room keep it. Like said, makes a good shop stove.

A stove like that could still bring about $200-300 in my area if it was painted and the bricks are intact. Getting it on the market at the beginning of the season is important though. If you have room keep it. Like said, makes a good shop stove.
Yeah about the same price here.